Clio Renaultsport 200 what am I likely to let myself in for?

rousetafarian

....so the time comes to return my bland company Focus and I want to use the paltry cash contribution to something with a bit more poke.

I own a Mercedes CLS for the weekend which ticks the big/powerful/diesel motorway cruiser box but what are/is the catch with the Clio 200 for day to day commuting?

£13k for a single owner on a 10 plate with under 15k miles in White?

Bargain or am i missing something obvious? What are the risks?

oska

I had a 182 for 5 years from new. It was our only car, commuting, family of 3 trips to Cornwall etc. Never let me down except for a water pump towards the end of ownership. Great car to drive, was plenty quick and handled very well, decent spec with Xenons, climate, cruise, auto wipers and lights and the like. Expect a few build issues. My glovebox door never sat straight and flush from new and the windscreen whistled at high speed. It cost me 13K new back then. Expect massive depreciation if you plan on keeping it for a few years though, but that is the same with most cars.

rousetafarian

Cheers oska, I figured that with a decent example and getting the company contribution towards the HP payment it shouldn't cost me too much, and hopefully not be out of pocket too much. Naturally I need to take into account maintenance, insurance, tyres etc.

(It looks great in polar white though)

oska

Agreed 200's look great in white, it didn't suit the 197 or 182, not an option on the 182 but I've seen one. Mine was black gold, looked great in the sun. I wouldn't have got rid of it but family expanded. Only gripe was they didn't include Recaros as an option on release as I'd have ticked that. The standard seats were plenty decent though. Get it and enjoy it!

Maintenance wasn't bad either but tires were expensive for a French hot hatch. It gripped nearly as well in the wet though which was fun.

shodan

Distinguished Member
200bhp in a small car that weighs as much as a bag of crisps? Oh yes please!!! Sounds like fun!!!

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Have been tempted by one of these as used prices are becoming good. Friend had the 197 F1 Team in blue and it looked great, quite a rare car on the roads aswell, the 225 Megane looks interesting also.

Bubblin

Your letting yourself in for a great fun handling hatchback. Likely to take corners with a smile on your face and really embarrass most other cars on the road.

Downsides

French build quality (drivers door fell off, suspension mount broke, radio refused to be audiable, and various squeaks from the dash)

BUT

Tyres can be expensive, and every kid in their corsa will want to race you!

You will enjoy it though!

Last edited:

rousetafarian

Last edited:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
200bhp in a small car that weighs as much as a bag of crisps? Oh yes please!!! Sounds like fun!!!

Sadly each RS Clio piled on the pounds since the 172 so it's a bit porky on the scales.

Great car though.

Fuel Economy is appalling all things considered mind.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
French build quality (drivers door fell off, suspension mount broke, radio refused to be audiable, and various squeaks from the dash)

Is this the latest model Clio?
We didn't have any issues with our Clio, albeit a lowly 1.5dci model.
Most reliable car we've had.
Are the sport models made in a different factory?

rousetafarian

Sadly each RS Clio piled on the pounds since the 172 so it's a bit porky on the scales.

Great car though.

Fuel Economy is appalling all things considered mind.

Fuel economy isn't a concern as I have a fuel card, tyres on the other hand are my responsibility :rolleyes:

Bubblin

FZR400RRSP said:
Is this the latest model Clio?
We didn't have any issues with our Clio, albeit a lowly 1.5dci model.
Most reliable car we've had.
Are the sport models made in a different factory?

Yes seemed I may have had a lemon. But still would recommend the car to anyone.

There are some great deals if buying new. Really lessens the depreciation a little.

I think the Renault sport models are put together away from the normal production line.

But overall can't go wrong with this car, ds3 racing edition, and many more small hot hatches.

WhyAyeMan

Over 1200 kg is not light for a "small" car.

Its 200 kg more than the 172 Cup.

To be fair, I had the same thoughts about the 182, that it was relatively light and with all that power it should be a riot, but I always felt the 182 was a little too refined for its own good, and it never quite conveyed the sensation of speed as I thought it would... I imagine the 200 is even more so.

Anyway, the 200 seems pretty well regarded nevertheless.

FZR400RRSP

Banned
TameRacingDriver said:

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't the 172 the mk2 Clio?
Whereas the 200 is the mk3?
I despised the mk2 Clio, it was a nasty pile of tin and hard plastics.
Whereas we happily owned a mk3.
A real quantum leap in quality from Renault.

alexs2

To be fair, I had the same thoughts about the 182, that it was relatively light and with all that power it should be a riot, but I always felt the 182 was a little too refined for its own good, and it never quite conveyed the sensation of speed as I thought it would... I imagine the 200 is even more so.

Anyway, the 200 seems pretty well regarded nevertheless.

Funnily enough,they come out to about the same power/weight ratio,so the added weight has been offset by a bit more power,which seems to be the way that most cars' next generations go.

Still both well regarded good handling cars,as you say.

alexs2

clio rs 200 look nice and clio rs v6

Clio V6 is nice to look at,but even in it's later versions was nasty on anything less than a dry road.

The combination of rear wheel drive,and engine position,plus short wheelbase ensured an "interesting" drive.

oska

When I had the 182 my mate bought a Mk2 V6 and let me take it on a good run. It felt very light at the front compared, changing direction at speed needed balls. Even in the dry attacking a roundabout frightened the life out of me. Didn't feel very quick either, I guess I was expecting some sort of night and day difference between the 2. What was good though was the engine, torque whenever without waiting for the 5K bump in the 182. Sounded great too sitting behind your ears.

domtheone

Distinguished Member

To be fair, I had the same thoughts about the 182, that it was relatively light and with all that power it should be a riot, but I always felt the 182 was a little too refined for its own good, and it never quite conveyed the sensation of speed as I thought it would.

It feels pretty fast when you're doing 140 in it:laugh:

The 5K kick is an absolute hoot too. I never get tired of it:thumbsup:

Funnily enough,they come out to about the same power/weight ratio,so the added weight has been offset by a bit more power,which seems to be the way that most cars' next generations go.

True true.

Baffles me why the 197/200 were so much worse than the 182 (and I assume 172) with fuel economy though.

Can't believe that the extra 100kg of weight (offset by more power) was the main reason for it so I assume it's all down to the engine.

Last edited:

markymark34

great looking little car until you get into them and its basically a bog standard clio interior which is horrible. Try the plastic experiment - how many different colours of plactic can you count inside it?

mpg sucks for such a low powered car. If you have a fuel card i guess thats not an issue.

WhyAyeMan

It feels pretty fast when you're doing 140 in it:laugh:

The 5K kick is an absolute hoot too. I never get tired of it:thumbsup:

:laugh: but you shouldn't have to go 140 for it to feel fast! Mine used to feel like it was starting to take off at that speed, quite unsettling TBH!

Whats this 5K kick you speak of? Mine never went below 5K :p

domtheone

Distinguished Member
:laugh: but you shouldn't have to go 140 for it to feel fast! Mine used to feel like it was starting to take off at that speed, quite unsettling TBH!

OK it feels fast much slower than that. Tis a small car so you don't need to do 3 figures. I've been in economy mode for a long time now. Can't remember the last time I did more than a hundred:rolleyes:

Whats this 5K kick you speak of? Mine never went below 5K :p

:laugh:

rousetafarian

R

recruit

I have the latest Clio RS200 in deep black with the Cup chassis and it goes like a rocket and handles I would say probably the best I have driven and is rock solid in build quality, I have most extras on mine apart from the Recaros but the standard Renault sport seats are superb and comfortable to sit in, I have had a few quickish cars and this is my favourite.
All I have changes so far is the Air filter to an ITG one which gives better Air flow and slighlty better fuel economy, not sure if it improves bhp as it just feels so quick anyway.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 319
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 318

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton