Clio CD Player - Faulty?

Beetlejuice

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone,

Not sure whether this should be in the motoring forum or the electronics forum, so thought I would try here first.

I have an 03 clio with factory fitted CD player. It all works fine, until I try to change the volume when listening to a CD - it comes up with 'Err' as soon as I press the volume button and then nothing else seems to work. To change tracks/volume etc I have to switch the CD player off and then back on. This happens EVERY time I hit that volume button!

Is there any way to fix this? (It would have to be very simple, I'm not technically minded!) or is it a case of a new CD player. I don't want to take the car to a mechanic/engineer as it will probably cost more to inspect than it would to buy a new unit with fitting at Halfords.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IronGiant

I would guess (and it's only a guess) that it is a a firmware or electrical fault in the unit itself and not a simple wiring connection that you can fix yourself.

Dave

Beetlejuice

Distinguished Member
Is there no way to update firmware via CD or something, like on a DVD player?

It's nothing major and I could live with it if need be, but it's a tad annoying. :D

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Not familiar with the Clio but does it have volume controls on the steering as well as the fascia? If so, does the problem occur with both?

If you can get easy access to the rear of the player you could try disconnecting the power overnight. Make sure that you have any required security codes first though.

Beetlejuice

Distinguished Member
Not familiar with the Clio but does it have volume controls on the steering as well as the fascia? If so, does the problem occur with both?

If you can get easy access to the rear of the player you could try disconnecting the power overnight. Make sure that you have any required security codes first though.
Yep - has steering wheel controls (well, a stick behind the wheel), and to be honest, Ive never tried it :blush: will try that today.

No idea how to take the fascia off though or where I could find security codes. I'm a numpty with cars - had to get the manual out to find out where to put the washer water :D

IronGiant

Security codes may be in the manuals that came with the car, it should be a 4 number code.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Check the manual for the player to see if there is a security code system. If there is it should also tell you where to find it.

Assuming that the fault exists with the steering controls as well, you could disconnect one battery terminal overnight. However I'd suggest confirming with someone who knows this model of Clio that disconnecting the battery overnight won't cause any other problems with alarm, immobiliser, engine management system, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom