1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clint Eastwood

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Blondie, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right i might get some disagreement here (pauley)!! But over the last 7 days i have been watching a true master at work :thumbsup: I have never seen an actor so suited to a genre than Clint to the western :smashin: From A Fistful of Dollars (1964) through to his final waving goodbye to the genre with Unforgiven (2002) he has been proberly the best actor ever :smashin: in fact Clint you are the best actor ever, i know before you all shoot me down he has made donkeys (Dead Pool), but watching films like the Spaghetti Westerns; Hang em High (1968) High Plains Drifter (1973) The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976) Pale Rider (1985) makes me realise just how bloody good we was :clap:
    So come on people who better fits a genre than good old Clint :lesson: and is he the best actor ever :smashin:
    PS Clint please make one last Western :smashin: :smashin:

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Not sure about best actor ever, but he certainly is one of my faves. I’ve always been a big Clint fan. I’ve always loved the mystery he portrays in his films along with his brooding menace.

I really hope he does another western, although topping Unforgiven will be some task.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    he is some man like....best actor tho..? not sure, but I'm not sure if I can think of a better one tho...

high plains drifter is class tho....

4. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,905
    Yeah, Clint is a legend and I've loved the majority of his films since I was a kid but he isn't the greatest actor ever. He doesn't have massive range, but he is one of those that has the 'star' factor (and there are few left), for on screen charisma there are few that come close.

:smoke:

5. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe i was getting carried away with the best actor of all time, cause like you say he does'nt have a massive range, but i can't think off a better actor, and for the westerns as i say the man with no name is on his own, i salute him :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thats a pretty brave statement! Best actor ever? mmmm
    Undoubtedly his best films are the 'Dollars Trilogy' and I'm afraid that much of the credit has to go to Leone. The great narratives, character depth and complete understanding of how people think and act is Sergio's strength and success. That and the ability to deliver it with style, humour and comic-book bravado which is seldom approached, let alone matched.
    If anything, it's a great piece of casting.

My friends and I were discussing the topic of 'best actor' not so long ago. Its a tough one, no doubt. After re-visiting some Brando movies (Godfather Trilogy/Last Tango..), it is he, who I would choose. He is so utterly comfortable with the camera and is so uncannily natural on film you can easily forget he is acting. The confidence he undoubtedly portrays in most of his performances is the backbone of his style. (Nobody mention Island of Dr Moreau. ok :nono: )
    One of my mates thinks Brando is rubbish, but there you go.

Sorry for going off topic, but Eastwood is great in the role of the anti-hero in his westerns and Dirty Harry but a great actor is only as good as a good script/director.

Regards FRANC

7. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Not the best actor but pretty damn close to it. Apart from a few bloopers he has consistently excelled. I can see a best actor thread appearing very soon....

8. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,554
    "Right turn clyde"
    now thats a classic clint movie :smashin:
    have to agree though,clint is an outstanding actor,always wanted him to be judge dredd myself

9. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +912
    Just finished watching Pale Rider - class movie - the gun fight at the end is just brilliant!!!!!

Clint Rules

10. manny

manny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah, clint IS judge dredd!

anyway, the man has made the anti-hero a part of modern culture! as an actor he is limited, but i think one of the best things about him is that he knows that. as a director i feel he is hugely underrated. Franc mentioned leone's films. of course, leone was a goddamn genious, ( corrct my spelling?) but i think Eastwood carried the theme on in his own films. didn't he direct Pale Rider and Unforgiven? surely two of the best, and most introspective, westerns ever? High Plains Drifter may be seen as misogynistic rubbish by some, but i think it's fantastically honest film making. people were bad, even when they were good sometimes. shock!!!
    why does a good guy have to be moralistic? a b***ard can save the day too...

11. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto classic Clint at his best :clap: :clap: :clap:
    this film deserves SE: treatment :lease:

12. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nicely put, could'nt agree more. High Plains Drifter is hugely underated, this is up there with all the great westerns :clap:
    Wheres the Duke now :rotfl: :rotfl:

13. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was brought up on Clint movies as my mother thinks he is great. I don't really watch western's, but I own all of his ones that I know are available on DVD. Also many of his other movies. He is one of my favourites.
    From listening to commentaries etc it appears that the character he play's in the Dollars trillogy is more his take on the character than that of Leone. The character was quiet different on the page to the one on the screen due to Clint's input. So as much as I like Leone he shouldn't get all the credit for the character of Manco, Blondie or The Man With No Name. What ever his name is meant to be. :confused:

14. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I do like Clint Eastwood, and i own a lot of his films, however the best actor ever? i think with the likes of Robert De Niro, Al PAcino (and a number of others) etc i dont think that the he is the best ever. although i agree he maybe one of the best western genre actors

15. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep best of the genre, not john wayne as some may argue, who could only muster 1 liners :eek: :eek:

16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Neither John Wayne or Clint Eastwood could be called great actors. However both are screen legends, particularly in the Western genre. Both have a powerful, physical and iconic screen presence, as important a component in many of their classic movies as the script or the cinematography.

Similarly both were chosen by two master directors for this undeniable screen presence and their suitability for a certain type of role, rather than for acting ability per se. Both directors were astute enough to realise that what these actors represented in metaphoric / archetypal terms and how the persona could fit with the overall vision of the work, was much more important than thespian ability alone.

Again, not for nothing that both actors are indelibly associated in the public consciousness with a very similar, clearly defined, screen persona.

Wayne was the actor of choice for John Ford in his series of genre-defining westerns and likewise Leone used Eastwood for his "Dollar" movies (with Eastwood maintaining the persona for his own subsequent, classic westerns).

Where Eastwood scores over Wayne though (and something that hasn't really been emphasized in this thread) is that he developed into one of Hollywood's finest directors, almost single-handedly keeping the Western alive in contemporary Hollywood, and in the process creating several modern classics of the genre to boot (I almost wept with joy on my first viewing of The Unforgiven). A definite case of an apprentice becoming a master.

But, if I could only choose one Western to take to that desert island with me, I'm afraid that Once Upon A Time In The West would, sadly, be pipped at the post by The Searchers. Leone may have re-defined the genre, but Ford was the director who defined it in the first place and The Searchers is his masterpiece. Wayne's finest and darkest hour too, in a decidedly against-type role.

Which reminds me, where is that long promised 2-disc Special Edition? Come on Warners!

17. TarPot

TarPot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    My dad showed me Dirty Harry when I was 10 on good old betamax. Ever since then he is my favourite actor of all time. I was raised on Clint Eastwood movies. I think he's the man.
    It's amazing that he is still turning out excellent movies to this day. As people have said he has done a few pups!! (even I can't watch Pink Cadillac!) But they are few.
    I have all the dvds available of his films and love em! Yes, even City Heat!!!
    My favourite actor is Clint, no questions.
    But for who I think is the best actor I'd go for Al Pacino, George C. Scott or even James Woods. They rarely put in a bad performances, even in bad films.
    I know this might seem a dodgy thing to say, but I've seen some bad performances from both De Niro (15 mins, Godsend, that american express ad, terrible) and Brando (The Formula-??????, The Missouri Breaks-with I enjoyed totally), although to be fair they have obviously done more than their fair share of excellent work.

18. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    James Woods. The Man!!! :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

The fact that this guy never made the Hollywood "A" list while drones like Keanu Reeves and Adam Sandler have achieved superstar status, proves beyond a doubt that Hollywood is truly f***ed!

19. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clint Eastwood has undoubtedly made some truly brilliant films both as an actor and a director, and in particular Dirty Harry and the Leone trilogy will be up there for all time.
    To me though he has made the mistakes that alot of his equally talented peers make (DeNiro and Pacino) in that they have been in alot of rubbish too.
    However, for that reason I am struggling to think of any actor who hasn't or any actor who is better. Brando was a god, but his brilliance was shown few and far between, James Dean was also excellent but we were unfortunately deprived of his talent.
    For me the likes of Benico Del Toro (21 grams etc) has the potential - and the eye for great films - to go far
    Eastwood though will always be - right turn Clyde - and Dirty Harry for me was the bees knees, I watched it again a couple of weeks back and he was cool as !!!!!!!!!!!!

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,888
    Clint is my all time favourite, I think it's the screen presence and a little spark about him that makes him so good in my eyes. I could never get on with John Wayne though for some reason and can't watch his films (no idea why, just don't like him!).

21. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    As an actor Wayne leaves me cold, but I have to say that Eastwood does too. But their best movies are not about the actor, they are about the director.

Wayne happens to be in a hell of a lot of John Ford's movies, which are among the finest celluloid creations on this earth. He is used to great effect by the director as an element in the film in the same way the lighting, composition, dialogue, etc, is used. To put it coldly it's an example of the oft-quoted Hitchcock axiom of "actors as cattle". Another director who often employed bland, not-so-great actors in his movies, but to great effect.

But most John Wayne movies not directed by Ford I find mostly dull and a chore to watch.

Likewise Eastwood's "Dollar" movies are all about Leone's vision, and Clint's presence, persona, call it what you will, just happens to fit that vision. Even in Eastwood's own directorial classics like The Outlaw Josey Wales, High Plains Drifter and The Unforgiven, the director's vision is what is of interest more than the performance. Eastwood the director is astute enough to utilize the persona and powerful screen presence of Eastwood the actor as an element in these films. Like Wayne, the performance is one-note, but that is what is required and it works.

Tom Cruise falls into the same category for me. I find him a sterile, bland performer (and he doesn't even have the iconic strengths or screen presence of a Wayne or an Eastwood), yet he appears in some of my favourite movies. A case of enjoying the movie in spite of the star rather than because of the star.

However in Cruise's case I often find myself wondering how much better the movie would be with another actor in the role, whereas with the best Wayne and Eastwood movies I can't imagine another actor in the role.

22. ricflairandy

ricflairandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ill add a late vote for clint. Mabey not as best actor ever, but certainly best actor/director ever. Without a shadow of a doubt.

Oh, and i also think brando is rubbish. He just pulls the same face as barry from eastenders and people think its great acting:rolleyes:

23. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,359
    Again, not sure about Best Actor...but he's certainly one of my favourties (top 3/5 easily) and so mnay great films.

The Man is a certifed Legend, imo. :smashin:

24. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    His presence on and off screen is very charismatic for anyone who may have seen him in interviews etc.

Alongside with his Westerns and Dirty Harry films, I did think his acting prowess in In the Line of Fire and White Hunter and Black Heart was excellent.

Pity he has sobered down recently and seems to be doing a voice over in an upcoming Dirty Harry game.

So any news on what he is doing next?

25. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +633
    Can't watch John Wayne at all. Clint Eastwood has worked in some great movies. He has evil eyes, and spits cigar excellently, but does not have to do much acting. I thought that Sylvester Stallone was a great Judge Dredd. I think that Clint would be a bit skinny for that part.

26. Paulie_D

Paulie_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Of the modern westerns (of which there are few) then Clint is far and away the best but then he made most of them.

Costner tries (and makes good western movies) but doesn't it seems to me have the acting chops to take down Clint.

However, in all this, one must not forget the 'Golden Age' of the Western with wonderful actors such as Gary Cooper, Randolph Scott, Joel McRae, James Stewart and a myriad of others.

As for the Duke, much under-rated IMHO. Yes, he was occasionally one-note but he made dozens (if not hundreds) of westerns (Sandy the Singing Cowboy anyone...anyone?) and arguably his finest was his last..The Shootist.

As for one-liners, an interesting story is that he nearly always put a pause in his line because the camera had to stay on him until he finished it and he got more screen time!

27. Max Payne

Max Payne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Im trying to "like" Brando at the moment.

Have Apocalypse Now Redux to watch again and I have On the Waterfront ready to spin in the dvd player. Im actually trying to read his autobiography and Im finding it very,very hard to read it (not for the words, but to keep me interested in what he's babbling on about)

I think Clint Eastwood is an excellent, excellent actor and one of the best.

DeNiro is losing his gloss year on year and really should have stopped making films after Heat, he's gone into meltdown to be honest. I don't even bother getting excited when I hear his name linked to a new film.

Pacino is the one I think has held his own, and I think he's great. Most people would say he overacts, but I like his performances anyway!

From the "old school", I like Gene Hackman and Morgan Freeman

Of the up and coming actors: Christan Bale, Daniel Craig, Eric Bana are hopefully going to become greats.

28. ricflairandy

ricflairandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58

Is that a joke? Hes currently the best director in the business. And has what could be a masterstroke of a new movie (or 2 movies depending on how you look at it)

29. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150

Dirty Harry will forever be associated in my mind with the zingy fruity chemical smell of new electronics components for similar reasons.

30. ricflairandy

ricflairandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58

I love james woods, although i agree with you about keanu reeves, i have to disagree with the sandler thing. The guy can act when he wants to. Punch drunk love shows that.