Cling filming a speaker above a cooker (!)

2own def

Standard Member
Well, most of my "spare" time is cooking/preparing in the kitchen...

So, a speaker to go in each corner, one on the tall fridge, the other next to the cooker hood, probably on a shelf, affording some protection.

Even with extractor, it gets humid and greasy up there. So, will wrapping the speaker in cling film cause any harm (perhaps back pressure, heat build up?).

Amp - Denon DRA-700AE (2 x 80W). Speaker not yet got--looking at DALI Zensor 1, Wharfedale Diamond 10.1, Mission 771 type of range.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The biggest issue with humidity etc. will come with how it will effect the cone/tweeter and you can not really wrap that up. The cabinets themselves will be sealed so see no issue with wrapping it but not sure what you gain apart from protecting the finish a little. You will also have to ensure you keep the port clear as well otherwise you will affect the sound. I feel you may be better looking for an outdoor or marine designed speaker that will be able to better handle the conditions or look to put the speaker away from the cooker (maybe on the oposite wall directed at you).

2own def

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick reply!

I imagined it would affect the sound (I can hear enthusiasts cringing); I envisaged entirely wrapping the speaker, to protect the cones rather than the finish. Kitchen layout pretty much rules out placement anywhere else. As for marine speakers, I was hoping to keep it simple (and moderately priced).

Or perhaps tissue on the speaker front, which would stop that grease build-up found high up in kitchens?

I know this is all terribly un-HIFI, but the children have to be fed; I never seem to spend time in the lounge... life's a compromise!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I think I would put both speakers next to each other on the fridge before wrapping it as this will have less negative effects on the sound compared to completely wrapping it in cling film.

2own def

Standard Member
Ok, thanks for your advice. Have ordered some Warfedale Diamond 9.1s. Will mount sideways-their curves will help-high up in a corner above cupboard, away from the cooker.

formbypc

Novice Member
I would have thought that placing them apart for stereo is fairly redundant, as I expect you'll be moving around, so - together, as far away from the cooker as possible.

Could you also consider cutting down on frying, that'll reduce the greasiness of the air, and have a positive effect on your health, too!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom