Question Climax Digital or Lindy 4 x 4 Matrix?

Climax Digital or Lindy - 4x4 HDMI Matrix Switch (CAT 6 & HDMI)?

• Lindy - 4x4 Matrix 1080p HDMI IR CAT6 Extender with 4 Receivers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Climax Digital - 1080p HDMI True Matrix 4x4 by SINGLE UTP CAT6 CAT5E 3D

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pilkie

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am purchasing a new build and have an opportunity to setup cabling and infrastructure to provide multi-room in up to 8 rooms (4 x CAT6 & 4 x HDMI). I have been researching budget HDMI Matrix Switches and think I have found two that meet my requirements:

1. Climax Digital - 1080p HDMI True Matrix 4x4 by SINGLE UTP CAT6 CAT5E 3D
2. Lindy - 4x4 Matrix 1080p HDMI IR CAT6 Extender with 4 Receivers

The functionality looks the same but I have no idea about the build quality and performance of each product. Climax is £300 cheaper but there may be a reason for this or it could be a bargain! Does anyone have any experience that would help me in my buying decision?

Kind regards

Darren

Mixing some rooms over CAT plus some over HDMI potentially means a different User Experience in different Rooms which some folk find off putting!

Don't know the particular units you are considering - how they handle EDID and HDCP and whatever mix of Source and Display gear you have is key to a stable system.

You don't mention audio and how you are dealing with multi-channel vs. stereo audio.

Joe

Neither are HDBaseT (HDMI over single Cat5/6) standard, and though a lot more outlay its will be worth it in the long run.

Agree with Joe about the mix of Cat6 and HDMi but it can be a cost effective way of getting 8 TVS connected as long as you realise that they have to be paired and no IR control for the 4 HDMI connected TVS.

HDBaseT

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply. This setup is mainly for me and my sons when they get old enough to enjoy more than Peppa Pig :). My wife isn't bothered about picture quality as long as its reasonable. This means the slight difference in user experience is fine. I am sure the quality is still good enough for a residential system. Jumping to a 4 x 8 CAT 6 solution bumps up the price too much. So does an all HDMI solution.

I will most likely distribute sound as Dolby Digital 5.1 to keep EDID consistent . I already have 3 Sonos Playbars and a surround sound Amp. I will purchase cheaper Soundbars with Dolby Digital support for the other rooms if and when they are needed.

HDCP is not covered in detail by either vendor.

Displays are a mix of Samsung, Pioneer and Panasonic HD TVs. Not all support 3D but that's fine I just wont watch 3 Blu-Ray in those rooms. Input devices will be Sky, Xbox or PC, CCTV and 3D Blu-Ray.

Thanks Aclass

IR Control will be via Logitech Harmony solution so I think that takes care of limitation with HDMI.

Joe wasnt referring to the user experience in terms of quality as they will be identical but more the use of the system in different rooms.

Not sure Harmony does actually help, what are were your thoughts on how you would use this ?

Harmony hub sits in AV cabinet with the rest of the components (Matrix, Sky, Blu-Ray) to send IR. Remote or Smart Phones connect wirelessly to Harmony hub to choose source and set options for that source e.g. Sky channel. Power and volume for local display will via local remote in the room.

Ok so a mix of remotes and apps in some rooms.

It will work but different in different rooms, and thats I think what Joe was getting at.

Its the same process in each room to set device options and matrix channel. It's also a single remote in each room to power on and set volume. The user experience is consistent. If you have a better solution for up to £1000 then that's partly why I am here.

I am assuming that neither you are Joe have any experience of the Lindy or Climax devices?

Sorry yes, app for Matrix and sources. IR remote for TV.

I know Climax very well go under a few names but we dropped their factory partner about 4 years ago as no edid control.

You may also want to check that they supported mirrored outputs not just one or the other, as the old boxes didnt.

Pay the extra and go for HDBaseT

I wasnt saying necessarily going for 4x8 but make sure any part of the system that is over cat6a is HDBaseT Standard

Thanks for your input but there is a £1000 budget for my solution and HDBaseT smashes it. Maybe this can be an upgrade option later. For now it would be good to hear from anyone that has used the Lindy or Climax devices?

User Experience - as Seb suggested it's more about making interacting/controlling the system consistent across all zones.

Audio - keep in mind most TV's don't support 5.1 via HDMI.

HDMI - how long are the cable runs to the zones where you are planning to use HDMI?

3D - the trick will be getting 3D through the matrix when you have non- 3D Displays connected to the matrix.

Hassle - be prepared for Plan A not working or being temperamental.

Joe

Thanks for your input but there is a £1000 budget for my solution and HDBaseT smashes it.

Then don't do it. Either come up with another solution (even if it's temporary) or just wait.

You will not enjoy the pain you'll endure by bodging this.

Why not look at it from a different perspective. Draw a matrix of your expected use. Which rooms do you expect to need to use each source in. There may be a much more cost effective solution.

For example, you may determine that you really only need Sky in all the rooms. The other rooms could be served by a local streamer and a cheap BD player.

Doing one thing well is better than doing all things badly, and unfortunately, you don't have the budget for a robust 4x8 solution.

As above

Maybe look a using a HD Modulator for CCTV over coax as I assume you dont need IR control of that, BluRays could be ripped and served and streamed to the Smart TVs (or a Raspberry Pi running Kodi) via a PC on the network. You could then use a HDBaseT Splitter for Sky to the 8 TVs, so you get IR control in all rooms.

It seems to me that you have all missed the point in the post? I was simply asking if anyone has experience of these two devices:
1. Climax Digital - 1080p HDMI True Matrix 4x4 by SINGLE UTP CAT6 CAT5E 3D
2. Lindy - 4x4 Matrix 1080p HDMI IR CAT6 Extender with 4 Receivers​
On paper these systems meet my requirements. HDMI cable length is not a problem, user experience is not a problem, EDID is not a problem. I don't really care if 3D doesn't work in all rooms but I am pretty sure I will find a workaround or just not run this through the matrix. HDBASET my be the Rolls Royce but I do not need to make that level of investment if these devices work as their spec suggests they will.

It's very easy to bash a solution but if you have not had first hand experience of these products then maybe tone down the negative comments. I respect that you have all had some experience of AV Multi-Room solutions and some of your comments are designed to challenge the logic behind my design. However the agenda of pushing other more expensive hardware is corrupting the thread.

I was leaning towards the Lindy option anyway for number of reasons. However I have also been contacted by MHub who offer an equivalent product. I will report back with the results in September.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Sorry you feel that way, and I did state that we used to sell the Climax Digital under another name.

What we are trying to say is that they may well not work as you want them to hence why as retailers, users and manufacturers we have stopped using anything other than HDBaseT.
Even if someone says they work fine with their setup doesnt mean it will work with your set of equipment. EDID control shouldnt be dismissed as is key to ensuring everything plays nicely.

Post 1 - 'Does anyone have any experience that would help me in my buying decision?'.

Post 18 - 'It seems to me that you have all missed the point in the post? I was simply asking if anyone has experience of these two devices:'.

Without knowing exactly which model you are considering it is hard to say for sure if we have come across that particular design before - the Climax unit looks like a generic design we have come across and it is not one I would want to rely on without ensuring I had a plan B.

Without knowing about HDMI cable lengths etc it is difficult to give you any advice.

A Matrix install can go very well or be a real nightmare - at which point the level of Tech Support your supplier offers becomes very important.

'Lindy Michael' is an AVF member - maybe give him a shout for first hand experience of his product range.

Joe

The people replying aren't bashing your solution just trying to help.

On paper\website the Lindy looks to be the better unit, however chances are that people will have one or the other so won't be able to do a comparison. Seb has sold Climaxes in the past and had some issues.

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply. This setup is mainly for me and my sons when they get old enough to enjoy more than Peppa Pig :). My wife isn't bothered about picture quality as long as its reasonable. This means the slight difference in user experience is fine. I am sure the quality is still good enough for a residential system. Jumping to a 4 x 8 CAT 6 solution bumps up the price too much. So does an all HDMI solution.

I will most likely distribute sound as Dolby Digital 5.1 to keep EDID consistent . I already have 3 Sonos Playbars and a surround sound Amp. I will purchase cheaper Soundbars with Dolby Digital support for the other rooms if and when they are needed.

HDCP is not covered in detail by either vendor.

Displays are a mix of Samsung, Pioneer and Panasonic HD TVs. Not all support 3D but that's fine I just wont watch 3 Blu-Ray in those rooms. Input devices will be Sky, Xbox or PC, CCTV and 3D Blu-Ray.

On paper these systems meet my requirements. HDMI cable length is not a problem, user experience is not a problem, EDID is not a problem. I don't really care if 3D doesn't work in all rooms but I am pretty sure I will find a workaround or just not run this through the matrix. HDBASET my be the Rolls Royce but I do not need to make that level of investment if these devices work as their spec suggests they will.

It's very easy to bash a solution but if you have not had first hand experience of these products then maybe tone down the negative comments. I respect that you have all had some experience of AV Multi-Room solutions and some of your comments are designed to challenge the logic behind my design. However the agenda of pushing other more expensive hardware is corrupting the thread.

I was leaning towards the Lindy option anyway for number of reasons. However I have also been contacted by MHub who offer an equivalent product. I will report back with the results in September.

You have stated some things aren't important, but they very much are:-

1) Lindy states a limit of 5M for HDMI are all your TVs within that distance as its pretty small distance.

2) EDID Management - if you don't manage it you simply get the lowest common denominator so no 3D anywhere and stereo only. You have to be able EDID to manage it to get 3D on those screens you want. Additionally if you output Dolby Digital its just that so won't work on quite a lot of TVs.

HDBaseT is just the transport mechanism for the signal from A to B so whilst I would also recommend it its only part of the solution.

The time to switch, the ensuring that the other screens don't go black (HDCP handshake) when another TV is switched on or off.

I am not a retailer but am home user that has a variety of experiences with it.

Looking at it I would possibly look at Lindy one but I would want to buy it with a returns policy in case it doesn't work. Presumably if you are mentioning September what you don't want to do is buy it now and hope it works then.

Also if you are doing the wiring you might want to consider two coax runs to each TV to allow freeview\freesat and Sky connection.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom