Climate change, do we give a fudge?

Do we care ?

• Greta thunberg , yup the earth is dying you morons .

Votes: 89 65.9%
  • Al Gore , I can make a living as the earth is dying , morons.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Trump , fudge the earth , I'm alright Jack , as the we continue to build sh*te

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Boris , I'm with Trump, or whatever ...comes next .

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Putin , we make the rules , we own all

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • China , yeah right mate , bring it on.

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters
One on Earth.

You see.

We really don't give a toss, and don't stand any chance due to money:

INPE data published in mid-January found that deforestation in the Amazon in northern Brazil had soared 85 percent in 2019, clearing 9,166 sq km - the highest number in at least five years - versus 4,946 sq km cleared in 2018.

The sharp increase overlapped the first year in office of President Jair Bolsonaro, a climate change skeptic who has eased restrictions on exploiting the Amazon's vast riches.

And we think we are going to solve such issues by our efforts:

More than 50,000 urban trees to be planted in England

I've not done the maths, but I suspect that's not going to balance 9,166 sq km !

In a way I can't blame them. We are rich and live in a wealthy country with a high standard of general living. Many people there don't and they are using what the have/find to raise themselves up.
We can either stop them by force, not a great idea! or basically give them money so they don't have to, but then we've giving them money for not doing bad things which is a bit iffy.

Either way, we're screwed I'd say.

The search engine I saw in the signature of a post in this thread (Ecosia) has planted over 80 million trees.
Ecosia - the search engine that plants trees
It is an extension for Chrome, you don't notice the difference including searching from the address bar.
I did some research into them and they are genuine.

You see.

We really don't give a toss, and don't stand any chance due to money:

INPE data published in mid-January found that deforestation in the Amazon in northern Brazil had soared 85 percent in 2019, clearing 9,166 sq km - the highest number in at least five years - versus 4,946 sq km cleared in 2018.

The sharp increase overlapped the first year in office of President Jair Bolsonaro, a climate change skeptic who has eased restrictions on exploiting the Amazon's vast riches.

And we think we are going to solve such issues by our efforts:

More than 50,000 urban trees to be planted in England

I've not done the maths, but I suspect that's not going to balance 9,166 sq km !

In a way I can't blame them. We are rich and live in a wealthy country with a high standard of general living. Many people there don't and they are using what the have/find to raise themselves up.
We can either stop them by force, not a great idea! or basically give them money so they don't have to, but then we've giving them money for not doing bad things which is a bit iffy.

Either way, we're screwed I'd say.

The deforestation of the Amazon is one of the most abhorrent acts that is taking place with seeming impunity.

You only need the most basic knowledge of the science on climate change to know you cannot continue to obliterate a rainforest of this size and think it will all still be okay.

Interesting Video Clip about man made? global warming.

One guy (AUS) actually with balls? to stand up and say things no one else seems brave enough to say.
And a utterly terrible young biased interviewer who simply was so brainwashed he was simply unwilling to listen to anything the other guy said and kept interrupting him.

Comments in the video interesting also.....

It's refreshing to hear someone actually brave, and educated? enough to speak clearly from an opposing view to the current only acceptable viewpoint.

If anything, the attitude of the young interviewer, simply unwilling to look or for one second question his own viewpoint when presented with something from the other guy actually makes me more willing to listen to the older guy myself.

Last edited:

One guy (AUS) actually with balls? to stand up and say things no one else seems brave enough to say.
And a utterly terrible young biased interviewer who simply was so brainwashed he was simply unwilling to listen to anything the other guy said and kept interrupting him.

It's refreshing to hear someone actually brave, and educated? enough to speak clearly from an opposing view to the current only acceptable viewpoint.

If anything, the attitude of the young interviewer, simply unwilling to look or for one second question his own viewpoint when presented with something from the other guy actually makes me more willing to listen to the older guy myself.

Older guy is ignorant of reality and peddling lies based on selective use of data.

It's easy enough to find any loony "with balls to stand up ... " That's what loonies do. Merely asserting a viewpoint is not being "brave enough to say".

The interviewer was not biased. I thought he was pretty good considering what he was confronted with. He was simply, and in my opinion with a great deal of forbearance, trying to get the guy to explain his interpretation of the science.

Frankly I don't trust someone who denies global warming, especially in a position of responsibility.
I do agree with you about the bad manners and listening to someone's point of view.

Older guy is ignorant of reality and peddling lies based on selective use of data.
Having listened to him you understand what is going on and respond appropriately.

Nasa still people deny the science it's quite frankly insanity.

Last edited:

Well no comment on the interview but Roberts the world knows well as do NASA.

Personally i'll go with NASA every time over a politician with climate conspiracy theories.

Roberts frequently states that NASA has falsified climate data to exaggerate warming in the Arctic.[15][16] In November 2016, Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, told Roberts he was "mistaken" to assert NASA had removed data to hide Arctic warming in the 1940s.[15] Schmidt stated that the data was freely available online and that Roberts should check it himself, adding that he was surprised that Roberts was in fact a senator, and that his allegation of inappropriate temperature data adjustment is "the definition of denial".

Roberts' specific objection related to charts from Icelandic stations at Vestmannaeyjar and Teigarhorn, where temperatures from the 1930s and 1940s were adjusted down, removing the apparent warming recorded at that time. However a senior Icelandic meteorologist with a specialty in historical climatology emailed Roberts that the temperature adjustments, which were made because of a daytime bias and relocation of one of the stations, were "quite sound ... absolutely necessary and well founded".[15]

The changes I have seen in my life back up global warming.
When I was little in Newcastle we always go snow in the winter and over the years it lessened.
Although I don't go back there now I hear enough to know snow is a rarity now, if it happens at all.

Well no comment on the interview but Roberts the world knows well as do NASA.

Personally i'll go with NASA every time over a politician.

Roberts frequently states that NASA has falsified climate data to exaggerate warming in the Arctic.[15][16] In November 2016, Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, told Roberts he was "mistaken" to assert NASA had removed data to hide Arctic warming in the 1940s.[15] Schmidt stated that the data was freely available online and that Roberts should check it himself, adding that he was surprised that Roberts was in fact a senator, and that his allegation of inappropriate temperature data adjustment is "the definition of denial".

Roberts' specific objection related to charts from Icelandic stations at Vestmannaeyjar and Teigarhorn, where temperatures from the 1930s and 1940s were adjusted down, removing the apparent warming recorded at that time. However a senior Icelandic meteorologist with a specialty in historical climatology emailed Roberts that the temperature adjustments, which were made because of a daytime bias and relocation of one of the stations, were "quite sound ... absolutely necessary and well founded".[15]

Plus it gets him votes.

Plus it gets him votes.
That's truly the worrying part isn't it o_O i am not saying he shouldn't have a view but he's a public figure the data is all not matters how much he denies it, therefore he has a responsibility to that data & the people he serves not just a goddamn conspiracy theory.

Just to make it clear.
I don't like shooting people down, not giving them time to talk and not having an open mind on things.
If someone has views that are in conflict with the media accepted viewpoint.
Then please, let the person present their details, see if those points/numbers they are quoting are correct.
If they are not correct, show and explain exactly how they are not correct, if they are correct, then explain why despite being correct they cannot be regarded as important.

I'll listen to almost anyone with an open mind, and I very much enjoy seeing a easy to understand explanation of the details being presented.

I fear, at times there is such a strong viewpoint on a topic that anyone who dares to suggest something different or question this viewpoint gets shouted down.

Like the flat earth and fake moon landings.
Rather than just rubbish them, take what they are saying, and deal with each point one at a time, to show that their points simply cannot be right.

Flat Earth - the horizon and satellite TV.
Moon landing - one of the Apollo missions left a reflector so the Earth-Moon distance could be measured and lots of astronomers including amateurs have bounced lasers of it.
Oh - no moon, no tides.
Plus the discovery of He3 in the regolith, very useful for fusion in the future.

I don't like shooting people down, not giving them time to talk and not having an open mind on things.
If someone has views that are in conflict with the media accepted viewpoint.
Roberts frequently states that NASA has falsified climate data to exaggerate warming in the Arctic.[15][16] In November 2016, Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, told Roberts he was "mistaken" to assert NASA had removed data to hide Arctic warming in the 1940s.
Roberts is blatantly manipulating and outright lying which is something else.

Flat Earth - the horizon and satellite TV.
Moon landing - one of the Apollo missions left a reflector so the Earth-Moon distance could be measured and lots of astronomers including amateurs have bounced lasers of it.
Oh - no moon, no tides.
Plus the discovery of He3 in the regolith, very useful for fusion in the future.

What I liked the most was when people listened to every one of the issues the moon landing people had, no stars, too much light on the dark space suit etc, and one by one, using real experiments showed/explained away each of the points.
With the Flat earth, the issue of gravity becoming more at the edges, meaning things would have to lean over.
I know it's easier to just say "it's round you idiot" ;)
But I do like real factual explanations of why their viewpoint cannot be correct.

and one by one, using real experiments showed/explained away each of the points.
The problem is some people don't want it to be true. One person about a month ago on AVF suddenly claimed that you needed a one metre thick metal shield to get through the Van Allen belts.
They want life to be simple.
Racism is a good example of this mind set.

That's truly the worrying part isn't it o_O i am not saying he shouldn't have a view but he's a public figure the data is all not matters how much he denies it, therefore he has a responsibility to that data & the people he serves not just a goddamn conspiracy theory.

He's just a rusty old cog in the dirty machine that will deny climate change if it helps to line pockets.

There's no profit to be made in admitting it's happening and doing something about it. So far easier to dismiss it or claim the data is wrong.

We also live in an age though now where the likes of him know there are plenty of gullible people out there who only need a few select buttons pushing, and next thing they are your biggest cheerleaders.

Many won't look into it for themselves, but think we're gonna be okay cos, "Trump told me climate change was invented by China."

The changes I have seen in my life back up global warming.
When I was little in Newcastle we always go snow in the winter and over the years it lessened.
Although I don't go back there now I hear enough to know snow is a rarity now, if it happens at all.

yes, it's quite rare in Newcastle, tho there are spells - think that last notable spell was nearly 3 years ago (but only lasted a few days) ? then the beast of the east after that in 2018...

but it's a bit different in rural county durham where it's fairly high up...

Rather than just rubbish them, take what they are saying, and deal with each point one at a time, to show that their points simply cannot be right.
You really think that will work? After 2,000 years and more of people trying to do just that against a variety of beliefs?

They aren't listening. Deeply-held beliefs are not easily swayed, least of all by calm logic. Look how long it took to persuade people tobacco is bad? And even then it took legislation.

I respond to a lot of these posts, like the one above, not because I think it will do any good, but because I can't stop myself. Have you noticed how such responses never themselves get a response?

By the way, I personally don't class the flat-earthers in the loony/conspiracy class. From what I've seen of them generally I'd mark them as harmless eccentrics, who love winding people up. I rather like them.

They aren't listening. Deeply-held beliefs are not easily swayed, least of all by calm logic. Look how long it took to persuade people tobacco is bad? And even then it took legislation.
Which shows that people can get addicted to anything.

Yes, I remember reading that Michael Douglas was addicted to Sex. Which made me wonder if any men weren’t.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom