Climate change, do we give a fudge?

Do we care ?

• Greta thunberg , yup the earth is dying you morons .

Votes: 89 65.9%
  • Al Gore , I can make a living as the earth is dying , morons.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Trump , fudge the earth , I'm alright Jack , as the we continue to build sh*te

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Boris , I'm with Trump, or whatever ...comes next .

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Putin , we make the rules , we own all

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • China , yeah right mate , bring it on.

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters
Short term, we will adapt. Install air conditioners rather than central heating when it gets a bit too tropical in the UK. Desalination plants powered by renewable energy if it stops raining in Kent. Long term? We knew this was one in a billion chance, the Sun will burn out or go Super Nova at some point, when it does, the Universe will roll the dice and give a different star system a go at it.

But we do adapt - we now have millions living in some of the most inhospitable places on the planet. For example take the Persian Gulf - it used to be just sand and a few tribesman pearl diving and herding camels due to its climate. Now it has great cities full of millions of people living and working and surviving the harsh climate. If we can make a bit of sand that gets to 50c hospitable and livable then coping with an increase of 1 or 2 degrees should be feasible.

If we have a population of people who think like this, it's no wonder we're screwed :laugh:

An increase of 1 or 2 degrees doesn't mean "let's just turn the air con up a bit and we'll be fine" :facepalm:

If we have a population of people who think like this, it's no wonder we're screwed :laugh:

An increase of 1 or 2 degrees doesn't mean "let's just turn the air con up a bit and we'll be fine" :facepalm:

Well as you aint going to stop temperature rising then you either use technology to mitigate the effects or you die... :rolleyes:

Don't know about any of you lot, but I'm quite pleased, and I'm 100% sure many many very elderly people are too that we don't have snow this year, and looking more and more like we will might get away with it.
Sure, Few windy days, and had enough rain, but overall it's better than snow.
Saved heating bills, saved deaths due to cold, saved deaths on the roads due to ice etc.
So right now, this is a plus.

Be honest, we don't want things to get colder for many reasons.
Perhaps for the UK anyway, a few degree's would not be generally a bad thing.
Esp for those more up north.

We speak of in the future looking at Terraforming Mars and creating a climate.
Well if we can manage that, then by then I'm sure we'd be able to sort out Earth first.

Well as you aint going to stop temperature rising then you either use technology to mitigate the effects or you die... :rolleyes:
We shouldn't try and stop the natural climate change that our planet continues to cycle through, but we shouldn't skew and speed up that cycle either.

More bull from another of scrotum face's backed activist groups out to stop real information being reported. We will soon have no discussion allowed and carbon tax just forced on us, for the planet's sake. 😉

I don't think that's quite what he meant.

Be honest, we don't want things to get colder for many reasons.
Perhaps for the UK anyway, a few degree's would not be generally a bad thing.
Esp for those more up north.
Assuming warming is limited to say 2 degrees, then we can expect two phases in climate change: a period of adjustment and then a settlement into a new pattern of global climate.

The adjustment phase will be chaotic, as we're starting to see, and generally unpleasant because it will be disruptive on a large scale. I guess it will last a century or so. The second phase will be what we have to live with afterwards. There's no reason to assume it will be particularly bad or good compared with now, but because weather is essentially chaotic, and climate is average weather, it is impossible to predict how things will settle down. For example, the UK currently has a milder climate than its latitude might indicate, because of the Gulf Stream. Climate change might disrupt that, but even if it does we don't know what effect it might have. The Scottish Riviera and the Scottish Ice Cap are both possibilities.

Rainfall is affected by global warming, look at Australia.
To a lesser degree the UK as well, farmers lost quite a lot of crops last year.

More bull from another of scrotum face's backed activist groups out to stop real information being reported. We will soon have no discussion allowed and carbon tax just forced on us, for the planet's sake. 😉

Or more of that tinfoil Soros bull from you, conspiracy boy :rotfl:

1. When you act like a grown up I may take you seriously
  2. The planet's sake? Like the people in Australia who have lost everything - including their lives.

We shouldn't try and stop the natural climate change that our planet continues to cycle through, but we shouldn't skew and speed up that cycle either.

I like this 'we'.

If you want to make a significant difference to mankinds influence on climate change you are going to have to tell 3 billion Chinese and Indians that they cannot have economic growth to give the same level of lifestyle as those in the West - which would be rather ironic coming from someone on a website dedicated to expensive electronics and big boys toys. ;)

I like this 'we'.

If you want to make a significant difference to mankinds influence on climate change you are going to have to tell 3 billion Chinese and Indians that they cannot have economic growth to give the same level of lifestyle as those in the West - which would be rather ironic coming from someone on a website dedicated to expensive electronics and big boys toys. ;)
I don't think we do.

We need to stop waste and gluttony.
Buy and consume what we need, replace when things break or ware out, all quite simple things.

We tend to throw away vast amounts of food, some of which has been transported half way across the world.
We live in a throw away culture where we update too frequently.
How many animals per year are raised, slaughtered and then thrown away uneaten? I shudder to think.
The list almost endless

I can't throw away food, unless I have no choice as stupidly I forgot about a date and it's actually gone off.
Amazed how long some thing actually last in the fridge. Bread seems to last a few weeks past it's date, even cream, was fine about a week and a half past it's date.
If it looks ok, smells ok, and is not something iffy like shellfish, then I'll probably eat it ;)

I was brought up in a home where there was not money to waste on food that was not eaten, and what was on the table, thanks to mum, was what I had to eat that day.
I didn't get to pick or choose what I wanted (though of course she generally did try and give me things I liked as that's what mums do) :)

We never threw "good food" away. Monday was very often remains of Sunday roast (cold meat and bubble & Squeak)
Throwing away food was just something that could ever been contemplated.
Even now I'd rather eat something I don't need, rather than throwing it away.
Just the way I was brought up.

Even now I'd rather eat something I don't need, rather than throwing it away.
You're more than balanced out by people who'd rather "buy something they don't need, rather than leaving it in the shop" unfortunately.

I don't think we do.

We need to stop waste and gluttony.
Buy and consume what we need, replace when things break or ware out, all quite simple things.

We tend to throw away vast amounts of food, some of which has been transported half way across the world.
We live in a throw away culture where we update too frequently.
How many animals per year are raised, slaughtered and then thrown away uneaten? I shudder to think.
The list almost endless

I do agree with what you say here - but given the general appetite for the latest Iphone every year and the latest 4k (8k?) TV with surround sound then I think you are on a losing battle on this forum.

Also, if we in the West didnt have the consumer lifestyle then millions in the developing world wouldn't get the chance to lift themselves out of poverty.

First question - assuming recyclable plastic packaging is practical with people pay extra for it?
Second question - with global manufacturing, can we be certain the plastic marked as recyclable actually is?

I do agree with what you say here - but given the general appetite for the latest Iphone every year and the latest 4k (8k?) TV with surround sound then I think you are on a losing battle on this forum.

Also, if we in the West didnt have the consumer lifestyle then millions in the developing world wouldn't get the chance to lift themselves out of poverty.
And most electronics sent for recycling just goes abroad then into landfill.
The materials used are in combination and very difficult to separate out.

First question - assuming recyclable plastic packaging is practical with people pay extra for it?
Second question - with global manufacturing, can we be certain the plastic marked as recyclable actually is?

I'd add a 3rd - why does it need to be packaged in plastic in the first place?. Years ago we used to get lightbulbs in little cardboard boxes - now its that indestructible plastic that you need a hacksaw to get into.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom