Climate change, do we give a fudge?

Do we care ?

• Greta thunberg , yup the earth is dying you morons .

Votes: 89 65.9%
  • Al Gore , I can make a living as the earth is dying , morons.

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Trump , fudge the earth , I'm alright Jack , as the we continue to build sh*te

Votes: 12 8.9%
  • Boris , I'm with Trump, or whatever ...comes next .

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • Putin , we make the rules , we own all

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • China , yeah right mate , bring it on.

Votes: 13 9.6%

• Total voters

raduv1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
do we ? Can we ever change the issue that is our climate ? Do we ? Are we willing to change ? A stale mate that our goverments can not and do not want to change .

it's a strange life for myself as personally I'm not sure we should go on as a species, and in many ways , whilst I hope we find a way foward I also hope we fail in equal measure .This is nature after all and a violent proccess.

Last edited:
I care.

I don't eat meat. I don't drive. I don't fly. I recycle as much as I can. I try to use low energy technology as much as I can.

I do think it will be a miracle if our species makes it to the end of the century, but it doesn't mean I won't stop trying to do my bit, no matter how small and inconsequential it might seem.

I don't have any kids to answer to, but I do want to be able to look in the mirror each day with some sort of clear conscience. It's the same as making any ethical decision.

Yes, I care and do my bit but keep on eating meat, driving and flying. Have given up on the powerboat though :) I also reuse my cup.

Can't possibly vote for any of those sentences in the poll though...

Humans are a mere hindrance to the planet and the planet will do what the planet does, check the history books, many, many extinctions of species. Will we be next? At some point I believe so....

Until consumerism changes then there is no chance we will survive. We continue to act as if the climate changes will somehow change back and that the vital resources of the planet; trees, animals and insects will somehow miraculously recover.

I do what I can but it is not enough.

Until we stop allowing business to control pretty much every aspect of our lives then unfortunately pollution in all its forms will continue, profit and greed will always take precedence. Fortunately I will be long gone before the world finally realises that the damage is too great and that the human race is doomed.

Been recycling for over 20 years, long before the council collected it like they do now, used energy efficient lightbulbs since they launched, haven’t flown since 2006 (don’t enjoy it), throw away zero waste food, throw very little in the general waste bin, barely use the heating (helps that it is a warm house anyway), however, i do eat meat (although this had reduced slightly), drive a large diesel car (this will changing to a mild hybrid for daily use and V8 for fun / road trips) and run a couple of servers 24x7 (recently upgraded to more efficient CPUs and hard drives).

I think i do more than my fair share.

Let’s not forget that temperature fluctuations continue and that we are still in a “Ice Age” period and the scientific evidence points towards another colder period coming within the next few thousand years, that will see ice sheets once again covering most of Northern Europe including us in the mighty British Isles. For those that are around at this time, it can only mean one thing...plenty of White Christmas’s....

do we ? Can we ever change the issue that is our climate ? Do we ? Are we willing to change ? A stale mate that our goverments can not and do not want to change .

it's a strange life for myself as personally I'm not sure we should go on as a species, and in many ways , whilst I hope we find a way foward I also hope we fail in equal measure .This is nature after all and a violent proccess.
Are we willing to change ?
I suspect not.
If you take it right back to root cause and address these, then possibly. But I suspect it will be taxes and the like and token gestures.

Is eating meat a contributory factor in climate change? I don’t see the link.

Land and water required to feed cattle. Cutting down large parts of rainforest for cheap beef.

Not eating meat is an answer, but not necessarily the answer. The link is quite clear. The production of meat produces vast amounts of greenhouse gases. We eat far more now than at any other time in our history.

Speaking of meat- I wouldn’t mind trying this alternative. Worth watching to the end.

Regarding the environment, I do the recycling bit just like the next man but can’t help but wonder that whilst we might be helping to reduce the ice caps melting somewhat, the planet will evolve in its own way regardless of anything mere humans are doing.

I consider it too late to do anything other than enjoy the time left ;)

I think Greta is pissed off as she's still got a long life ahead of her and she sees no future unless we change both our thinking and our actions.

But as @MrFraggle states quite rightly above, we require an ideological shift worldwide but too many governments are insular and parochial in their outlook, even huge countries like America, India and China. They only time they think globally is trade, money and consumerism.

And of course, the greatest taboo is unsustainable population growth. How can you tell people not to reproduce?

It may contribute to global mass food production to feed the billions. However 7 billion Homo Sapiens adopting to a vegan diet is not the answer and will only contribute to the decline of forests as arable farming will fail to keep up. This and who will then be responsible to look after all farming stock worldwide? The most prevalent bird species is the chicken, who will look after them or do we leave them, some 50 billion and counting to feed off already depleted arable farming food sources? No easy answer, but focusing on meat eaters is not one of them...

I have a sneaking suspicion humans will survive anything somehow, they always do. Underground or in bunkers maybe.

Biological Anthropology is a subject I love and one that I studied at University. For anyone interested study our family tree it’s fascinating and goes back between 10 and 7 million years. However a common and dangerous way of thinking is that modern Homo Sapiens are invincible. Life is very fragile and as I’ve noted above history tells us one thing, all previous 23 species of hominids have become extinct, we are the exception, currently that is.... the story continues....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom