Clifford Rose (Secret Army's Kessler).

Garrett

Reaction score
Clifford Rose actor has died age 92 Been in lots of things but for me outstanding as Kessler in Secret Army one of the most hatefully characters there been, he even had a follow up series Kessler. Just re-watching the brilliant series of Secret Army again on Talking Pictures.
I was stunned in the true story series of a zoo vet in One By One that he was a more likeable character (well would not take much more to his role as Kessler) but was chalk and cheese difference and just showed what a good actor he was.

R.I.P. Clifford

Last edited:
Currently watching a run of Secret Army on TPTV. You pay extra attention to any scene with Clifford in. Such is the believable German character he plays.

Rest In Peace.

Great actor, RIP, I remember watching secret army each week, didn’t remember that it was back 1977, also didn’t realise it was being shown on talking pictures.

Great actor, RIP, I remember watching secret army each week, didn’t remember that it was back 1977, also didn’t realise it was being shown on talking pictures.
I only found Clifford had died when they added the news at the start and end of last Nights Secret Army. Last night was the 7th in the first series but there a week behind on there repeats Wednesday afternoon at 2pm which this weeks episode 6, if you want to catch up.
I'm surprised there little news at present on his death on the net.
Have to say in spite of his other work he was born to play Kessler and if they do a list of best TV villains has to be in the top 10 if not number one.
He recently was in Pirates of the Caribbean : On Stranger Tides.

@Garrett , I watched the secret army from start to finish back in 77, then quite a few years ago the yesterday tv channel repeated colditz, i rewatched the entire series, really enjoyed it, the following week they started showing secret army, I watched four or five episodes then gave up, I’d forgotten just how hardline the storylines were, Clifford Rose’s performance as Kessler was brilliant, I don’t think there was a bad performance in the series. I think Allo Allo had made me forget how life must of been for people living in those times.

@Garrett , I watched the secret army from start to finish back in 77, then quite a few years ago the yesterday tv channel repeated colditz, i rewatched the entire series, really enjoyed it, the following week they started showing secret army, I watched four or five episodes then gave up, I’d forgotten just how hardline the storylines were, Clifford Rose’s performance as Kessler was brilliant, I don’t think there was a bad performance in the series. I think Allo Allo had made me forget how life must of been for people living in those times.
If you mean bleak, it is some of the endings are real downers, in episode 5 and 6 ,we had
Life line betraying an English airman to the Germans and got him shot, and run down a civilian and know there even bigger downers to come.
although with reason behind them. Even the theme music great as it is a bit of a downer. I'm not too keen on Anglia Richards singing in the series although probably représentative of they way they did it then, and took the singing to the limit in Allo Allo.

Clifford also played a villain in Dr Who.

Watched an other episode of last night and the two German leads for me the show stealers, and Clifford's Kessler having an out burst and getting admonished by a superior and more or less tells the superior up your.
Brilliant acting from Clifford as the uptight Gestapo and Terrance Hardiman as the more honorable Luftwaffe Major.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom