Cliffhanger 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Well given Shamsung shafts every purchaser of AV, my k950 Atmos soundbar does not get updated to DTS-MA and sucks at vanilla DTS I’ll be having the Atmos import.

Thanks for the review Cas and the info about the US version.

I doubt if you are going to pick up any differences between DTS 5,.1 core at 1.5 Mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 although it is nice to have support for modern audio formats.

I doubt if you are going to pick up any differences between DTS 5,.1 core at 1.5 Mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 although it is nice to have support for modern audio formats.
Possibly but the sound is very quiet and pretty low dynamic range. Bass is not great either. Dunno why it’s so bad compared to an amp’s DTS 5.1.

I could just be spoiled with Atmos now of course.

As you can tell from the review, I found the picture excellent. It's a 1990s film that looks superb after having been given the full fat 4K treatment. I'd find it hard to believe that there will be any difference between this and the US disc on the picture front. I've compared the 4K and Blu-ray discs for the opening prologue, and it's a significant step up. I don't see how anybody could complain. But I do realise that screen grabs can be inherently misleading, so I'm sure that does a lot of the talking. I also know full well that there's 'another' forum where they really do not like us or our reviews very much, and seem to want to spend a great deal of their lives dissecting them. That's fine. At least they don't bring that over here too much anymore. For me, the only deciding factor is whether or not you're likely to ever want Atmos. If you're not, then this is a great disc.

Thanks for the clear unbiased review which I always find to be the case with AV Forums material. Whilst there has to be some personal opinion involved (dull without it) and you invite discussion and even disagreement on the forum comments I find it amazing that other sites would try to “diss” you on your work? Says more about them than you.

A brief comment on bias, in the distant past Cambridge Audio used to get stellar reviews from What HiFi when Richer Sounds took out monthly 15 page adverts, less generous with their stars when Richers took a break from the ads for a while!??

I played my USA import Blu ray first to compare the picture quality in comparison to the new UK release by Studio Canal.
My amp was set to the exact same volume level and left untouched when swapping discs and the blu ray blew it out of the water in volume levels !
The SC 4K release volume level is a lot lower in volume level despite it being in the same DTS MA.

Well the sucker doesn’t play on my Samsung UBD K8500 neither does Studio Canals Prince Of Darkness. Has my mate check them on his K8500 and he has the same problem. Tested the discs on my Xbox One S and they both play no bother. Question now being, is it a Studio Canal authoring issue or a Samsung firmware issue?

I must be the only one, watched this again recently and I still find it pretty average even on mylargish PJ setup, compared to my first viewing on a small tv years ago.

Absolutely thrilled with the PQ on this one, took a couple of pics with my phone, it looks gorgeous from start to finish. Haven’t listened through sound system yet, sad at missing Atmos track though, shame on SC!!

Attachments

• 7433EB04-FFC2-4D4B-8167-8C87EB1F3AF5.jpeg
    7433EB04-FFC2-4D4B-8167-8C87EB1F3AF5.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 240
  • D7158D26-2A32-4348-B49C-8DF58235154D.jpeg
    D7158D26-2A32-4348-B49C-8DF58235154D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 237
The USA disc gets a cracking review here with a reference Atmos soundtrack , could be worth swapping my studio canal UK version for this.
Cliffhanger 4K Blu-ray

Exactly why I didn't buy the UK release. Wik buy the Sony release when the price drops.

Well the sucker doesn’t play on my Samsung UBD K8500 neither does Studio Canals Prince Of Darkness. Has my mate check them on his K8500 and he has the same problem. Tested the discs on my Xbox One S and they both play no bother. Question now being, is it a Studio Canal authoring issue or a Samsung firmware issue?
I had this same issue, Even updating the FW made no difference.

I take it the disc booted up and went to a white screen with a small grey box in the middle? (think that's what came up for me)

Anyway, I thought perhaps its a menu issue, Pressed the ok button and the film started...Played perfectly right to the end :smashin:

I had this same issue, Even updating the FW made no difference.

I take it the disc booted up and went to a white screen with a small grey box in the middle? (think that's what came up for me)

Anyway, I thought perhaps its a menu issue, Pressed the ok button and the film started...Played perfectly right to the end :smashin:

I had same issue but my screen was multi coloured pixels and then gray bar appeared and played fine when ok button pressed. Works fine on the oppo, So think it's the player .

I had same issue but my screen was multi coloured pixels and then gray bar appeared and played fine when ok button pressed. Works fine on the oppo, So think it's the player .
I think it may have done that actually lol!
Very very odd!

The USA disc gets a cracking review here with a reference Atmos soundtrack , could be worth swapping my studio canal UK version for this.
Cliffhanger 4K Blu-ray
That review is a load of bollocks.
I received the US disc today, and it's clearly an old master that Sony had lying around. DNR and sharpening all over the show. The fidelity compared to the Studio Canal release, is laughable.

Never thought Studio Canal would school Sony with a title, (not that I'll be running out to buy the S/C version again).

That review is a load of bollocks.
I received the US disc today, and it's clearly an old master that Sony had lying around. DNR and sharpening all over the show. The fidelity compared to the Studio Canal release, is laughable.

Never thought Studio Canal would school Sony with a title, (not that I'll be running out to buy the S/C version again).
So the picture is shit on the USA version then ? .... sure you not put the blu ray in by mistake lol.
Sorry pal had to ask as Sony are usually the dogs bits on their transfers.
Is the Atmos any good pal ?
So overall the SC version is better picture ?

The Atmos is fine, it's everything else that's wrong lol

I've read people on other sites saying how such and such percent is only DNR'd, and the rest looks like a typical Sony transfer. My arse, the whole thing looks crap.

The S/C version at least looks like a new 4K remaster, when it's not falling apart from poor compression.

Some wouldn't know rat-sh*t from Rice Krispies either.

Just ordered my copy From zoom .co.uk
I was looking forward for the Dolby vision
Not to worried about the Dolby atomo sound but I hope the transfer is good and there’s no problem with the disc .

Finally watched the US disc and it is almost fine except for few minutes of DNR. Also it is very bright and few highlights can appear blown out. The comments about DNR and the US transfer being dog shite are exaggerated. This is not T2. I am yet to buy and watch the SC UHD.

Finally watched the US disc and it is almost fine except for few minutes of DNR. Also it is very bright and few highlights can appear blown out. The comments about DNR and the US transfer being dog sh*te are exaggerated. This is not T2. I am yet to buy and watch the SC UHD.

Some wouldn't know rat-sh*t from Rice Krispies either.
:)

Last edited:
I just plumped for this and bought the USA version. I'm Atmos capable but my telly can't do Dolby Vision, and Sony have a good track record so far, so seemed like a no-brainer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom