Clicking noise from LE46B750U1W - unlikely to be faulty caps

AceCobra1

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been having problems with my TV LE46B750U1W which has been making that classical clicking noise. It has been turning on and off and recently not turned on at all. I changed the faulty power board 2 months ago which solved the issue. Now the problem has came back. I had a look at the "new" power board and there doesn't seem to be any bulbous caps. I then disconnected that massive white cable that connects the PSU to the motherboard and noticed that 3 pins has been burnt. I took a picture of it and reassembled the TV - turned it on and it started working again after a few clicks. A few days ago, it wouldn't even turn on - just had the constant red standby light without even hearing the clicks. The cable itself has the number DZ090301H imprinted but I cannot seem to find it online.

Anyone have any ideas where I can a replacement cable ?

If I cannot "fix" this TV, I would be rather disappointed as it functions pefectly well and it would really be a shame to scap it just from 1 minor problem.

If I were to get a replacement TV, my budget will be probably anything under £1000 - any suggestion ?

Cut the wire to these 3 arcing pins and solder it directly to the underside of the board.

Cut the wire to these 3 arcing pins and solder it directly to the underside of the board.

Great thinking - although my question is why would the wire have fried ?

I would personally prefer to buy a replacement cable. I have uploaded the images if that would be of any help

Attachments

• DSCN1957.JPG
    DSCN1957.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20151108_132537.jpg
    IMG_20151108_132537.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20151108_132549.jpg
    IMG_20151108_132549.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20151108_135420.jpg
    IMG_20151108_135420.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20151108_135351.jpg
    IMG_20151108_135351.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20151108_135429.jpg
    IMG_20151108_135429.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
A short circuit (or near short) has caused a very high current to flow.
It needs fixed.

Should I get a new motherboard then or is it just a new cable ?

The cable is a symptom but the connector will be damaged, replace both.

Dry joints on the solder side of the socket can also cause it. An arcing connection can overheat and damage adjacent pins.
I doubt you'll be able to source the lead as a spare part...you have nothing to lose by cutting the wires off the plug and soldering them directly to the board.

Thanks guys - I will try to solder it on 2morow. If I still get this problem, I assume that I should just scrap this TV ? How likely would I be able to source the connection cable from Samsung ?

Also, should I solder ALL the pins into those individual soldering joints ? Or can I cut 1, use the working connection and solder the Fried connection into the underside of the board ?

Reviews are from 2009 so yes, spares could be a problem.

Samsung won't deal directly with a consumer, they'll probably refer you to a local dealer. You can ask them if the lead is available as a spare part and it's part number.
The numbers printed on it will be the cable manufacturers code number (not necessarily manufactured by Samsung) but you would also need to replace the socket.

Cut the plug in two and just solder the damaged connections.

Do I just solder the damaged connection into the underside of the board ? Obviously I will try my best to do a clean solder but lets say if the 2 connections touch by accidentally, would it lead to explosions etc. when the TV gets turned on ?

Cut the leads off the pins. Trim them back to an undamaged section and clean/tin the wire end and take your time soldering them carefully so as not to bridge an adjacent joint. Examine with a magnifying glass if you have poor closeup eyesight. If they did "touch by accident" some other component/components would almost certainly fry or the power supply will trip.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom