1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clicking noise coming from front speaker

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paul1672, Aug 10, 2003.

1. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    hi there.
    not sure if this is in the right place but i have this really annoying problem of clicking noises coming from my right front speaker.
    the bizarre thing is it's happened quite a few times and on different set ups.
    the first time was with a sony 5.1 amplifier i had with eltax front speakers.
    this time its a sherwood 6.1 amp with mission m73i front speakers.
    the sony amp was connected to the speaker with push and lock connectors at both ends and the sherwood amp is connected using banana plugs on both ends.
    this is so confusing as they are two totally different set-ups and yet they are producing exactly the same result (a really annoying clicking noise) and it's always in the very same front right speaker.could this be interferance being caused as it's close to a plug socket?
    i've even tried swapping the speakers over thinking it could be a dodgy speaker but still no joy.
    i would be very grateful if someone could help me solve this problem as it's really frustrating me.
    many thanks in advance
    paul1672

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Is it continuous? I assume you have tried moving the speaker away from its position out in to the room or something similar just to see if it goes away. If you have I would try disconnecting (unplug from mains) all equipment you do not need to see if it goes away, especially things like signal boosters, try also moving the speaker and phono cable’s around are they running alongside any other cables either mains or signal?

3. paul1672

paul1672

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    the next time i'm watching a film i'll give moving the speaker away from it's position a try but i'm sure i tried that when i had the last set-up.regarding unplugging anything i dont need i cant as all that is plugged in is the amp,dvd recorder,sky and tv remote signal sender (guess i could try unpugging that though).i must admit,the speaker cable is running alongside the power cables and extension lead socket so i'll also try seperating it from them and see what happens.
    anyway,many thanks for your advice and i'll give it a go the next time i'm viewing a movie (god knows when that'll be with all this heat).
    paul1672

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Had a very similar problem here,which drove me nuts for a couple of weeks until I found it was from a "wall wart" type switch mode power supply for a DAC I have...the power supply expired a few months later,so obviously was on the way out at the time....