1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

clever things that can be done to a scart cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dUnKle, Oct 24, 2000.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Reading through these posts in I have seen mention to things such as cutting certain pins on a scart cable.

Just out of curiousity what other things can be done and what effects do they have ?

I have a dreamcast that is connected to the TV using a SCART cable, is there any way of forcing this to be RGB ?

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +647
    Unfortunatly, the DC RGB mode is MUCH more complicated that other RGB products.

This is because it only works in RGB OR Composite.. Not both at the same time.

The DC will boot up in Composite mode as default.. But, if the connector in the back of the DC connects pin 7 to GND then the DC boots up in RGB mode..

In RGB mode it disables the composite output, and turns on a Sync output instead.

Take a look at my reply to a post earlier this week entitled 'Dreamcast - RGB or SVIDEO ?'

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

If it's plugged into a Scart socket that is 'RGB aware' and the Dreamcast is sending RGB, then the TV should be showing RGB. Basically one of the pins on the cable tells the TV that the signal contains RGB data. If the TV understands this pin then it should display the RGB data.

NB: you may need to play with settings in the TV to choose the RGB input on that Scart cable but I think it's automatic on most TV's.

Check out:
    http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/Dreamcast_htm/d-rgb.htm

&
    http://www.par.univie.ac.at/~bob/video/scart/scart.html