Clever DVDs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Greyhound, Oct 10, 2000.

1. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been told that new DVD titles will soon be able to detect players that have been chipped for multi region playback. I can't remember the first title that will be subject to this but I think it will be produced by Warner. Can anyone provide any more info about this? Does this mean that players that have automatic detection will be useless against these discs?

I'm thinking about getting a chipped Tosh 100E but am now unsure whether it'll be worth it. Is there another player that I should consider that would still work with these new discs?

Cheers

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi... What happens to people with multi-region Out-of-the-box-DVD's ? I have a Micromega Multi-Region from factory DVD... Any Idea on how this will effect me ?

Rui

3. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
  4. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just read all that very interesting.

I think I'll be screwed.

Although I bought a player from abroad it was a Hong Kong region 3 player that has always played region 1. It was never tampered with or chipped.

The general feeling is if you have a manual selection player you're laughing.

I don't know what that holds for me.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cool. I've just bought a pronto. I'll just program it to have two play buttons or something.

If you're having a problem convincing the MRS that a pronto is a must have then explain to her how she'll have to choose the region as well as turn on all your devices and set them to the right settings before she can watch a film. She'll probably buy it for you !

6. Mark

Mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just tested The Patriot on various multi-region dvd players from Pioneer and Panasonic.The disc played fine on all machines. Hope this helps.

7. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Were any of these players equppied with auto-mods? It seems that if you've got manual switching you're ok but auto mods may be affected.

8. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hmm,

Where did you here this from?

If there is any truth to this then it will just force us to buy abroad and sod UK Machines.

That's what I did with my player it's never had a problem playing anything. Except English Region 2's of course!

9. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Patriot and Perfect Storm are the first. I suspect if you are able to preset your player to a specific region you'll be okay.

------------------
    "You look like a hawg - Squeal piggie!"
    Website coming soon

10. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Good point. Were they auto or manual.

Also what can those poor gits do like myself whose player was never chipped but just happened to play region 1 as there is a switch on the board inside to disable multiregion.

11. Mattie

Mattie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveH, my feeling is that if your player will play R1 but not R2 then it probably hasn't been set to say "Region 0", which would play most R2 disks. And the discussion on this subject in the "dvd movies" section of this forum seems to conclude, on the basis of a letter from DVD Debate, that only R0 players will be affected.

So if your machine doesn't play R2 or 3, chances are it's hardwired to say its a R1 player... and RCE disks will work. Good luck!

I have a USA imported Pioneer 606, hardware R1 with an auto-selection mod for 2-6. The company I bought it from say it will work fine with RCE. I bought R1 because I'd rather be without R2 than R1 if protection got tougher.

HTH

12. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Mattie,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I think my player does region 1 and 3. The reason it does not do 2 is because it does not output PAL. It may do a Japanese disc though.

I hope it is fine. its a SONY DVP-S7000 (before s7700) it is a hong kong machine and was not tampered and was meant to be R3.

I guess I'll just have to wait and hope.

13. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Here goes just testedthe Patriot on my DVD Hong Kong S7000.

Worked no problem. Worked fine on my brothers US S7000, of course fine.

Tried my parents Toshiba SD2109 AUTO region switcher. It would NOT play brought up the region map screen.

I have read elsewhere that auto region switching is not a factor so it might have been where they bought their player from (Leading Edge Concepts)

Any comments?

14. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    From what I've read the RCE is thought to work by interrogating the player twice, firstly for the region of the DVD and then another region. If the player is interrogated twice and a positive reponse ensues then one assumes it fails to play the loaded disc. Since the disc is read only the player must be fooling itself and theoretically a manually changed player should play perfectly. I have read that RCE is aimed at the far east due to pirating and not so much Europe. In IMO it's unlikely to put a stop to the uk importing of region 1.
    Just hope I don't have to eat my words.

15. Brian H

Brian H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about us poor folk with Wharfedales etc.. that you can modify with the handset..will the discs work with these or will I have to start saving for an American or switchable player?
    Any info appreciated..it's taken me ages to have the money to get into dvd (having longed from afar for years - violins..) and it would be just typical to get screwed now I've arrived...

16. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    One poi****:

I am not making this up about Patriot. The message on the screen was:

"This DVD was i****ended to be played on non-modified Region 1 Players."

It seems funny that every disc has worked except the Patriot now doesn't it? Obviously RCE.

[This message has been edited by DaveH (edited 14-10-2000).]

17. Greyhound

Greyhound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,

Have you tried playing the film on someone else's (R2) player that has an auto-mod installed to see if it was just your pare****s that refused to play it?

18. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One comment: There is no DVD released yet which features RCE, hence most discs will still play on auto- or manual-codefree machines, and that does include 'The Patriot.'

And it's not a question if the player is region-free out of the box or modified later, as long as you have a manual selection you are safe.

19. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My friend has a Region 2 modified machine I will try on his and let you all know.

20. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Update for you all.

I tried a friends Sony 725 Auto mod player. It worked fine.

So for the record an AUTO changing Sony 725 worked but a Toshiba SD2109 did not.

Very bizarre.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For all Toshiba owners concerned about RCE there is a mamual handset fix, go to this
    url: http://www.leconcepts.com/faq/faq.htm

Thanks

Serb