Cleuless on TV tuners - care to recommend one?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by OhPinchy, Feb 8, 2009.

1. OhPinchy

OhPinchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a PVR 500MCE in my HTPC for the past 2 years. A few months back the second tuner (I have the additional connections header installed) just stopped working and my attempts to resolve it failed.

I'd like to buy a new dual tuner with as much future proofing as possible so am prepared to spend whatever it takes.

I am in Ireland (PAL) and use NTL/UPC cable. I have two set-top boxes and connect these to the tuner via s-video so am essentially taking digital signal and feeding into an analog tuner which is not ideal but does the job (some quality loss).

My HTPC runs Vista Ultimate and is in an Antec Fusion II case with a mini-ATX motherboard and I believe it only has one full size PCI slot so I'll need one card to do everything I need or use an external one.

I don't currently have HD cable but it will be available soon so I'd like to future-proof for that if possible. I know very little about HD, DVB, Freeview, QAM etc.

So any recommendations for a TV card that would suit my needs are much appreciated. Support for Windows 7 would be a bonus too. Thanks!

2. OhPinchy

OhPinchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks to Curly for moving this thread to the right forum (I wasn't aware it existed).

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on a TV card that might suit my needs as I want to avoid just taking a chance on a card that I think like it might do the job.