1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clerks/Chasing Amy, as good as Mallrats ???

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Jan 20, 2002.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    Just seen Mallrats for the 1st time, and oh my god, its my life, comics and bumming around soing sod all.

So are the other films as good ?

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Happy to tell you Dunc, that 'Mallrats' is probably Kevin Smith's (Silent Bob) worst film of the five he's made. 'Clerks' is an indie wonder, 'Mallrats' is a bit flat compared, 'Chasing Amy' is a return to grace, also 'Dogma' was quite underrated but highlighted Smith's failings as a director quite a bit. 'Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back' is just as funny as **** and I can't wait for the DVD.

Personally I love the point made about Superman blowing a whole in the back of Lois if they ever did have sex. Laughed my head off.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,319
    I am that comic book guy, every body should know how to handle a comic and that bloke should have had boards in his books.

Loved the film, very very funny and on the basis of that have ordered the Criterion Chasing Amy and pre-ordered Jay and Silent Bob.

I think I have seen Clerks, is it the film with with the dead guy in the toilet and the " Rebels being bad guys in ROTJ b'cos of all the inocent people who were working on the Death Star " conversation ? If so I did not like that one so much, not sure why :(

As for Dogma, ill wait to see what the other films are like 1st

4. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    `Clerks` is buy far and away my favourite film/although `Once were warriors`sometimes ties for the no 1 spot/depends on the time of day I guess:rolleyes: pretty much agree with Pointon`s thoughts,`Clerks` makes a great deal of sense if you have ever worked retail - I`ve been doing that for many years and that film strikes all the right cords for me,and remember the rule "the customer is always right/unless their wrong :devil: " try renting it or borrowing it Duncan,and give it another chance,hey you may even like it this time :D

5. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I liked CHASING AMY the most. It was even better than the time Jerry Springer had a show featuring gays who cheated on their lovers with folks of the opposte sex. When you see the film, that will make perfect sense. DOGMA was a close second. I was very impressed with the Supreame Being....hell-foire....

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although Clerks is easily my favorite of the bunch, Mallrats is definitely more "mainstream", and I know a lot of people who like it better than Clerks. (Philistines!)

Chasing Amy is a happy medium, and I don't know anybody who doesn't like it. (except for a few hardcore homophobes, and their opinions don't count)

7. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I must admit that I didn’t like Chasing Amy. I had a weekend when I watched Clerks, Mallrats and Amy. I thought they were excellent; fun; and plodding in that order. Consequently although I have the R1 spec ed of Dogma, I haven’t gotten round to watching it yet – ditto for the animated clerks.

Why didn’t I like Amy – well it had its moments – “Black Rage” being one but it just seemed to be slightly pretentious. I’m afraid that the infamous “**** DVD” comment seemed to confirm my worst suspicions about KS as well – he seems little more than a fanboy, albeit one who can be eloquent and amusing at times.

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've got the animated Clerks series, and haven't watched it yet, do yourself a favour, and watch it 2 or 3 times. The 1st time I watched it, I thought it was dreck. But, it actually grew on me after a while, especially the last few episodes where they start complaining that the show is nothing like the Clerks movie.

9. PaulDCocker

PaulDCocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I really liked chasing Amy, but I haven't seen Mall Rats yet. I found Clerks to be a little dry actually.

It's nice to see so many fans of 'Once were Warriors' around, it recently shot it's way into my top ten list.