1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CLenaing video tape

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jamesfobert, Jul 27, 2002.

1. jamesfobert

jamesfobert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are some practical ways I can clean a video cassette tape that has jumpy footage?

2. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you mean by clean?

I have a horrible feeling that your thought process will lead to grief.

Please explain your actual problem and I will see if I can offer a solution (I was the Quality Manager in a tape manufacturing plant).

3. jamesfobert

jamesfobert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tape is recorded in extended play, but for some reason it several times throughout the tape it jumps to the other recording speed for just an instant. The image and sound become distorted during that instant. There isn't any visual distortion in fastforward or rewind, just a speed change to adjust to whatever the current recording speed happens to be. Is there anyway to remedy this situation? I thought maybe insides were dirty, but i can think of anyway to clean it without ruining the footage

4. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you say "The Tape" do you mean that the problem is limited to one tape? If that is the case then I would be inclined to refrain from using the tape again.

Unless you are using very poor quality tape with soft media it is unlikely that dirt or oxide deposit will be problem ... you could always purchase a head cleaning tape just to be sure (but to be honest i have never been very convinced about their performance).

If all tapes are giving the same problem it is possible that your VCR might be developing a tracking problem and that it may be necessary to bring it to a service workshop.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    infomatique/Anyone else,

I've got some VHS tapes with some sort of mould or bacterial growth on them on them. What are my options for cleaning these ?

Mike.

6. infomatique

infomatique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't waste your time ... dump them