Clearone Xap: poor sound quality for line inputs

kreutz

Standard Member
Hello, I have a couple of XAP units, I want to pass PC audio through one of the units (so it's PC -> XAP -> amp -> speakers) but at some point I get loss of quality and the sound comes out echoey and generally distorted (vocals quieter than should be, some instruments are really loud while you can't hear others at all, etc.). The results are exactly the same for both XAPs. I have tried a few Phoenix connector to RCA/3.5mm jack cables and the results are the same for all of them (admittedly, I have made those cables myself but they worked in other applications [mostly for outputs] so, while it's possible that it's the cables that are causing the problems, I believe that it's unlikely. There doesn't seem to be any settings for line inputs, so I am baffled by this. Anyone has any ideas?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
The Clearone XAP is an audio reinforcement system for audio conferencing. It is not targetted at domestic audio usage, wich is what I understand by "PC -> XAP -> amp -> speakers". The XAP requires significant setup, so you'll need to spend a few hours with the manual and the G-Ware setup program on your PC. Also, are you sure you're using the correct inputs with the correct sensitivities and equalization parameters, specifically that you're not using a microphone input? Or that you haven't enabled filters you don't want?

Manuals can be found on the Clearone web site.

kreutz

Standard Member
This is not really a domestic application, this is for work, I want to mix in PC output to play music during breaks. The XAP is working great and the mic inputs are working fine. Line-level inputs (inputs 5-8, I believe, on the XAP 400) don't have any sensitivity parameters or filters, they only have gain which is left at 0. Anyway, I'll be looking into this to more detail today probably, just thought that there might be something very obvious that I didn't know so I thought I'd ask. Thanks.

kreutz

Standard Member
This was a mono/stereo issue. You set the balance on PC output as left-only and the quality becomes good. I'll need to wire it as stereo eventually and use two phoenix inputs I suppose, but it will do the job for now.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Glad you got it fixed (I doubt I'd ever have tumbled that you had a mono source connection).

kreutz

Standard Member
Just to clarify, the source connection was stereo and it was going into a single mono input, so instead of it going into a single input, it had to go into two inputs. Today I have wired the connection into two phoenix contacts on the XAP, where left and right had a dedicated input, and it seems to be working. I have described what I did to more detail in the following thread, thank you.

2 RCA to 2 RCA cables: stereo vs mono | AVForums

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom