1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clearaudio or Nottingham Analogue????

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by morb666, Oct 26, 2005.

1. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Some advice please??

I'm planning on moving up from my Current Rega Planar3/RB300/Elys setup and the two decks that look the best bet are the Clearaudio emotion package and the Nottingham Analogue Horizon (about the same cost once I add a cart).

Anyone have any opinions on these two decks??

Thanks,

Mark Morbius

http://www.morbius.co.uk

2. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well, the deed is done....spent ages reading reviews etc. and I have just bought the following:

Complete TecnoDec with Michell RB300 arm & Pickering XV15-1800S cartridge...

The package cost £759 from Vickers Hifi in York, which was a good saving I thought. 2-3 weeks wait but I can busy myself cleaning my vinyl between now and then :)

The Rega is on Ebay already...that will help offset the cost (a bit)!!

Cheers,
    Mark Morb

http://www.morbius.co.uk

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Lol - LOADS of research?!

In three hours and thirteen minutes!!??

Nice deck though, supposed to be better value than the gyro. Never heard of Pickering carts though....

DT

4. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You'd be suprised how many reviews and forum posts you can read in an entire morning, I think I know more about sub £1000 decks than is good for me :)

5. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    How many dems did you manage in those 3 hours?

Please tell me you've not bought something just because someone else likes it?

I've forgotten the number of items I've liked/disliked, where my views have been substantially different to the reviewer or person commenting.

6. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've been looking for months, the three hours thing I'm assuming is due to the timing of my forum posts....

I have heard some (but not all) of the decks I've been contemplating, just not been able to do a side by side comparison...I initially thought the Tecnodec was the best of the bunch but there were so many other suggestions that it made me unsure....anyway, I've decided to go with my initial choice, the michell. I just haven't got the time to travel 100s of miles to test out all the other decks in that price range (no dealer round here has them all).

7. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    So was neither the Clearaudio or Nottingham up to the standard of the TechnoDec? :D

To be honest, I don't suppose any of these decks are bad, they probably just differ in presentation. All have a known pedigree, so I don't think any of the decks you mention would have been a bad buy. It is very difficult to audition kit locally and ever more so with turntables, with most dealers happy to keep just a single TT/Arm Cartridge set-up in stock. Pickering are US manufactured cartridges, again with a good pedigree, but Vickers will have a vested interest in selling these as I believe they are the UK distributor.

http://www.pickeringuk.com/index.html

Paul

8. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the reply Paul.

I know in an ideal world we would be able to blind test all the gear we want, side by side and pick the one that sounds best, but as you say it's not a practical option (for anyone living outside London or a major city). Through a combination of hearing equipment when I can, reading reviews and taking advice from various forums then hopefully I haven't gone too far wrong.

Regarding the Clearaudio, I read a lot of stuff that implied it is vastly overpriced in the UK compared to it's cost in Germany so that put me off. And nowhere around here sells the Nottingham. The only other decks I actually listened to where the Roksan Radius, a higher spec Rega, a Pro-ject 9 and a Pro-Ject Perspective. The Michell was the first one I heard and I played the same record on the others and just didn't think they were as good, but I didn't hear them side by side so my memory may have been letting me down. But I've made my choice now and I've been busy cleaning up loads of vinyl with my new Disco Antistat kit...messy but seems to work :)

Cheers,
    Mark Morbius