Clearaudio Concept Motor Noise?

iemslie

Hi all

I’ve owned my Concept turntable from new and had it for around 18 months.
I’ve always been aware that the motor buzzes when running, but assumed it was a normal motor buzz that you get. Recently though, I’ve started to wonder whether it’s too loud.

Everything is set up as it should be, per the instructions. The turntable is on a flat surface, etc.
With the platter fitted I can hear it easily from 4 meters away when all is quiet in the house.
The pitch changes when the speed is adjusted, which you’d expect, I guess, in this case.

I’ve been investigating replacement motors for another turntable and some of my findings suggest that these motor should be “near silent”. Which mine definitely doesn’t!

I should probably add that the motor noise can’t be heard over music, so it’s not excessive and that the noise is coming from the motor itself, not the speakers.

My question really is how silent (or noisy) should the motor be?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

MarkStearn

Novice Member
Hi all

I’ve owned my Concept turntable from new and had it for around 18 months.
I’ve always been aware that the motor buzzes when running, but assumed it was a normal motor buzz that you get. Recently though, I’ve started to wonder whether it’s too loud.

Everything is set up as it should be, per the instructions. The turntable is on a flat surface, etc.
With the platter fitted I can hear it easily from 4 meters away when all is quiet in the house.
The pitch changes when the speed is adjusted, which you’d expect, I guess, in this case.

I’ve been investigating replacement motors for another turntable and some of my findings suggest that these motor should be “near silent”. Which mine definitely doesn’t!

I should probably add that the motor noise can’t be heard over music, so it’s not excessive and that the noise is coming from the motor itself, not the speakers.

My question really is how silent (or noisy) should the motor be?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

MarkStearn

Novice Member
Hi, I have just purchased the Clearaudio Concept turntable and like you have found that the motor does emit noise that changes pitch with the motor speed. My old Rotel RP855 motor is completely silent so I've spent many hours researching the Clearaudio turntable noise and some forums suggest applying a light motor oil to the motor spindle whilst others say if it doesn't affect the music output leave well alone. I'm opting for the latter suggestion as I don't feel comfortable tinkering with a Clearaudio deck, like you I am surprised that such a well regarded deck suffers from motor noise, I will keep researching and may even contact Clearaudio to see what their thoughts are. If they get back to me I will let you know what they say.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom