Clearance/ventilation for my Primare stereo amp?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by loz_the_guru, Dec 28, 2016.

1. loz_the_guru

loz_the_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I'm trying to work out the best place to put my amp having recently moved house. Options are:

1. In an existing cabinet, with around 3cm clearance either side but literally millimetres at the top, say 3mm.

2. Underneath said cabinet, essentially on the floor. Plenty of ventilation, also plenty of dust!

3. In aforementioned cabinet but with a shelf removed. This would give more overalls pace, but my half size DAC would have to go directly on top. Better ventilation though!

The amplifier is a Primare A30.1, and the vents for the heat sinks are at the top towards the rear. I love it, and would be very sad if anything bad was to become of it!

Any thoughts on which of these options is acceptable, or do I need to come up with an option 4?

2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,288
    If the shelves are sat on the usual pegs then maybe you could drill some new holes? That would allow the shelf to be raised for ventilation of the amp & hopefully still accommodate the DAC.

3. loz_the_guru

loz_the_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Alas not possible. The cabinet is part of a larger TV unit, and the two shelves are physically the only place the amp will fit.

The only other options I can think of would be to move the amplifier somewhere else, or place it on top of the cabinet. Do you think options 1-3 aren't viable?

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,288
    So how are the shelves supported?

3mm is too little clearance given that most heat will be rising straight up. You could sit the DAC on the amp but again your restricting airflow.

Only other thing I can think of is to place spacers on the four corners of the amp for the shelf to sit on. Thereby increasing the height & ventilation. Maybe something like this:

SET OF FOUR AUDIOZOMBA *VIBRA-SORB FINE CORK EQUIPMENT FEET AUDIOPHILE UPGRADE | eBay

5. loz_the_guru

loz_the_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    That's a nice idea, thanks! Will certainly look into it.