Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Clearance at back of Panny 300 needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sierix, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me the distance needed at the back of a Panny 300 to allow the hot air to escape and the PJ not get overheated please?

cheers

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    AFAIK the recommended distance is 18 inches

3. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Calibos :)

18", thats quite a lot of clearance needed :eek:

The thing is that I was going to mount the PJ off the back wall (as the ceiling is too high by far in that part of the room).

a Unicol bracket that does the trick only extends to 300mm, but when it is turned at right angles i guess it will be halfway along the PJ. From my maths I am estimating that there will be only about 15-20cm (6-8") between the wall and the PJ

Anyone know whether this will be enough or will it cause overheating? :confused:

Alternatively, are there any other wall brackets I can buy, or am I looking at making a shelf?

cheers

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I know it might not be good news, but I would seriously not recommend having 6/8" clearance behind your PJ - the AE1/2/300 all vent to the rear, and given recent posts about heat damage etc. you should make sure there is at least the recommended clearance behind the PJ - they do pump out a fair amount of heat.

Have a think about whether you could use a TV bracket with a longer (maybe articulated) arm...............

Sean G.

5. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the prompt replies guys :D

I think I am going to have to rethink my chioce of PJ *or* try to find another solution.

The shelf sounds good at this point - but my DIY skills being in the negative numbers fills me with fear :rolleyes:

Back to the drawing board.. :suicide:

Do a lot of PJs need much clearance at the back?

cheers

6. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HS 10 front vents so no problem there

7. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I reckon any rear venting PJ will probably need that amount of clearance. The HS10 as Mirablo mentioned vents to the front and has a longer throw and therefore you might even be able to mount it right up against the wall. Its a great Pj by all.......well by Kramers accounts but who trusts anything that comes out of his mouth:rolleyes: :rotfl: :rotfl: , the downside being it costs a couple of hundred more and has Very loud fans!!

Heres a pic of my solution. In fact the purpose of my shelf was to get the PJ out to its max throw length for my screen. Any farther back and the smallest image possible at min zoom was too big for my screen. I couldn't ceiling mount because I couldn't find the joists and anyway, I hadn't access to the roof space and so couldn't hide cables. After installation when I measured the distance from the vent to the back wall. It was exactly 18 inches. How lucky was that!! Anyway I had no DIY experience and I managed to put up the shelf so it must be a doddle!:D Just got the local DIY shop to cut a piece of MDF to my specifications, painted it and stuck it up myself. Like I said. Doddle!!:D Obviously a shelf over 2 foot deep along its whole length would look ridiculous. Its about 12inches at the sides and comes out to about 25inches. The measurements make it sound like a monstrosity(sp?) but it actually looks 'right' in the flesh if you know what I mean. Side benefits are that I've no worries about light spill obviously and it even deflects some of the fan noise.

[​IMG]

8. Sierix

Sierix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Calibos :)

I think that I will have to rethink the PJ mounting. From the odd shape of my house I think a shelf isn't going to work. :thumbsdow

back to the drawing board, does the Sanyo PLV-Z1 exhaust out the sides or front anoyone please? :D