Clear plastic piece that allows IR to be easily picked up

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by whitedevil, Jan 11, 2012.

1. whitedevil

whitedevil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an old CRT Toshiba TV, a while back, on the part of the tv that picks up the IR signal from the remote, behind a black cover, an almost clear plastic piece fell out and went missing (kids). After it went missing, the TV would only pick up IR signals if the remote was directly pointed at that spot.

Anyone know what this is called, I cannot find that piece anywhere online, is there something I can do as an alternative that would work just as well?

The TV is a Toshiba 3787DB

Some pics:
    With the cover on,
    http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/s360fw/IMAG0267.jpg

with the cover removed showing what is missing from underneath the cover
    http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/s360fw/IMAG0268.jpg

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    This is a guess but I suspect it may have been an IR lens or collector of some sort designed to collect and focus the IR from the remote to the sensor from a wider field than the sensor alone can see back in it's recess.

I suppose it could also be a simple filter designed to cut down ambient IR that might interfere with the remote's signal.

How or where you would get a replacement though I have no idea given the TV must be quite old so there is unlikely to be any sort of spares available even if you can identify what the piece actually is.