1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clear lens cap type protectors available or not?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by RSV_Ecosse, Jul 24, 2005.

1. RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been recording on bike footage with my Canon MV700. It has no AV in, so I'm simply mounting it on the bike for now, as I cant use an external bullet cam, obviously.

Works fine, although I'm a little concerned with keeping the lens of the camera protected. Are there any clear cap type things I could buy to fit to the camcorder, in order to protect it from stones, bees and flys etc? It's kinda exposed, as my bike has a black tinted double bubble screen fitted, so in order to get good footage, the camera has to be positioned in an "elevated" fashion in order to see over the top of the screen, so its right in the path of any oncoming airborne "beasties"!!!.

Changing bike screens back to a clear OEM one is rather fiddly and involved, I'd rather not have to do that.

Is such a lens cap/protector available?

Cheers.

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I have UV filters permanently fitted to my SLR lenses to protect the lense glass from damage. The way I see it is that its a lot cheaper to replace a filter than the optics.

I would think that this should be ok against bugs, but might not help with any direct hits from stones that get thrown up.

3. RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

Where would I be able to find one of these filters to buy?

Are they universally sized, or do I need to get an exact thread size for my Canon? How do they fit on?

Cheers.

4. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +397
    I got mine from jessops. They do many different sizes, if you do not know the thread size of your lense (some have it marked on the rim) take the camcorder to a local camera shop and they should be able to sort you out.

5. RSV_Ecosse

RSV_Ecosse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll take a trip into Jessops tomorrow afternoon and see what they have in stock......ta.