Cleaning your TV screen

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ssbib, Nov 22, 2017.

1. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +652
      A while back I thought my new TV had horrendous light bleed. However after a recent cleaning of the unit I noticed that these patches of lit moved and more showed up. Turns out it was actually streak marks on my TV from being cleaned that give a faint yellow tinge to parts of it when black screen is viewed in the dark. O matter how hard I try I can't get rid of these, I can move them about but not completely remove them. So how do you all clean your TV's and how do you get rid of any streaky marks such as this?

2. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +187
      I know what you are referring to as it happened to me once,I believe what causes it is put thing to much pressure on the panel that damages the leads that run along the side they sort of move about when touched but you won't get rid of them.If it is the same thing I'm thinking of mind.

3. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +652
      Hmmm, it's weird. I can move them about but I can't get rid of them, you're right. I've got it to an acceptable level by wiping the screen left to right, but anything else is noticeable on some settings. So is the TV damaged or is just a thing with IPS/LED units? The TV has not been manhandled in any way and it has been this way since I first had it.

4. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +187
      Without seeing it its hard to tell so I can only talk from experience,my old tv had some light bleed so I went online and read something about massaging the screen or some nonsense regarding improving it,one night after the pub I decided to give this a try,well,long story short,it turns out I must pushed a bit to hard as the light bleed had turned to areas of bright yellow,along the edge,so yes,I think I damaged it,well I certainly could never get rid of it and ended up selling it on as it did my head in.A lesson is,just leave light bleed alone.

5. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +652
      That's unlucky what happened to you. Were you able to return? I don't think this is the same issue to be honest. With the issue I have I can move these patches around by wiping the screen in various ways. If I clean up to down it leaves these streaks which can be quite noticeable on black screens with the lights off, if I go diagnoally it sort of pushes everything up towards the top or corners and makes it look like light bleed. Going left to right seems to be the best and leaves them hardly noticeable. I have LED local dimming on so it's not an issue per se on normal viewing. However on HDR stuff I find local dimming a distraction as everything has a faint white glow around it and so I turn it off to prevent that but then this issue is a little more prominent when I've wiped the screen certain ways. I've turned the brightness down on HDR a little to combat it.

I agree as well about leaving light bleed alone. I read a trick online about using a credit card and getting it inside the bezel. Saw lots of posts saying it worked but also lots saying it made it worse, so I decided to just leave it. Glad I did as like I said the issue wasn't light bleed, nit was this weird clouding. I've read online that this kind of issue I have is just an inherent problem of LED/IPS panels and is caused by uneven distribution of light on the screen. Kind of makes sense I suppose, when I clean it leaves its mark on the screen and causes light distribution to go uneven.

6. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +187
      Yeah,you could move the bits around on my set but never get rid of them completely,these type of tv's suffer from all manner of issues and the trouble I've had over the past few months has been staggering.Bring back Plasma.

7. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +652
      Daft isn't it. I'm sure that they would be able to get rid of some of these issues if they were willing to let their profit margins fall a little, but they're never going to do that. I really want an OLED but just got married this year and moving house in the new year...I just can't afford one now. I will start saving for one I think. For now this is still a better set than the one I had previously.

8. thewhofan

thewhofan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +289
      My TV's only ever needs dusting as they never get anything else on them. Would probably be a different story if I had kids or pets.
      Anyway, this is what I use on mine (screen only) Anti Static Tiger Cloth 250mm x 450mm
      I use a standard microfibre cloth, like the ones you get for cleaning cars for the rest of the TV (top, back and stand)
      The anti-static properties of the Tiger Cloth means it attracts less dust and needs cleaning less often.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    9. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +42
      I sensibly mounted my TV at the correct height for my viewing position. Which means its now also the perfect height for my toddler to wipe his yogurt covered face and hands all over it as he tries to press 'Next' on netflix without understanding its not a touch screen just yet....

Luckily I have a panny plasma with pretty solid glass screen (it was one of those ones that came with a touch pen!?) So these days I just get some baby wipes / kitchen antibac/grease wipes on the thing. Then a damp kitchen roll. Then some more kitchen roll, except this time just mildly moist to dry and remove streaks. I think I actually used windowlene the last time....

Comes up a treat.

Although I think the clean shiny surface attracts toddlers like flys to a carcass....

How soft are OLED screens? 'Yogurt Fist Resistance' is a genuine issue that I think should be added to review tests along side how accurately they reproduce colour.... :)

10. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,941
    11. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +652
      Cheers everyone.

12. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +652
      IMG_2199.jpg

Here are the weird steak marks on my TV I mentioned. Anyone know what they are exactly? As I said if I wipe the screen in a different pattern they move around. This is from wiping left to right

13. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +481
      It's an LCD panel I assume? If so I think it's the liquid crystal layer itself you're moving around.

Seen the same kind of effect when wiping cheap laptop screens clean with a microfibre cloth.

14. ssbib

ssbib

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +652
      Yeah it is LCD. Do you know anyway to prevent it? It moves even when wiped with the lightest of touches. The picture above is from when the TV is first powered on and all the settings are maxed or before the picture comes on and it turns everything to my preset settings so it is more noticeable here. I've got the settings so that it's not noticeable when in normal viewing. If I was watching a VERY dark scene with all the lights off at night then it might still show but I don't watch with the lights off...makes me sleepy.

15. EddK

EddK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +148
      That my friend is light bleed from the TV.
      I'm assuming it's and edge lit LCD/LED?

If it is really bad, then you could get a replacement, just bring that photo into the store you bought it in.

tv light bleed - Google Search Plenty of examples of this i'm afraid. It's a common issue, with light filter on the TV.