Cleaning your PC

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Stockholm, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Stockholm

Stockholm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,169
    I'm fed up paying for cans of air in order to clean the interior of my PC. The cans don't last long, nearly give you frostbite when you hold them for too long and end up running out before you get the chance to finish cleaning everything.

So I've been thinking of buying some kind of mains air pump. Has anybody here used anything like that to clean their components? Any recommendations for something like an air pump that inflates paddling pools, mattresses, tyres or whatever needs a good supply of air, costs less than £10 or thereabouts and plugs into the mains?

And I've been thinking about sticking my keyboard in the dishwasher too. Seriously. The air can gets some dust out sure, but I've got this urge to just throw it in on its own on the coldest wash without any tablets.

2. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,504
    Hoover and a brush adaptor is safe. You just have to be very careful.

3. Jamezinho

Jamezinho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    I've heard of people using a hairdryer to blow dust away. Not sure if that's a good idea or not. Suppose it can't do any harm.

4. Stockholm

Stockholm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,169
    Oh jesus I hadn't even thought of using the hairdryer! Using the cold button should do the trick shouldn't it! I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

Hillskill

I use the dyson nozzle attachments very carefully to get bits of dust out, but it doesn't get it all out and sometimes I wish it would work in the opposite direction.

If the haidryer doesn't work I'll buy one of those main air pumps they have on Amazon for about £8-12. I'd love to use an industrial air compressor but it'd probably destroy the pc rather than clean it!

5. majnu

majnu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,534
    ED500 DataVac but it's expensive

6. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,504
    Thats why you need the brush attachment. That will displace the dust enough for the suction to whip it away. Obviously works best with large cases.

7. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    pretty cheap when you see that i have payed around £30 for air duster cans over the years and you always loose presser around half way, dam thing is loud from what i have seen on the tube:D but very powerful, going to get one of theses in the near future.

8. eiren

eiren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,796
    I use a high powered hair dryer on cool setting.

Better than cans of air.

9. Stockholm

Stockholm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,169
    Thanks for all the suggestions. That ED209 Data Vac is something else! Watched a few videos of it and that's the level of dust clearing performance I had in mind.

Do you think a tyre inflator that plugs into the 12v socket in your car would match that kind of performance, even perhaps exceed it? After all it has to blow up a high pressure tyre! You can get them for £11 on Amazon...

Ring Automotive RAC610 12V Analogue Compressor: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

Just need an adapter for a main socket and maybe some tubing. Or there is this mains air compressor for lilos and things like that

GELERT HURRICANE 3 240V/12V ELECTRIC AIRBED PUMP CAMP: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Edit - The hairdryer worked ok, although my PC isn't that dusty just now because I used a can of air on it before I got to thinking about the money I was spending on all those cans of the stuff.

10. Jamezinho

Jamezinho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    Not sure the 12v tyre pump would be up to it, or at least not the one I've got! It doesn't move the air at the kind of pressure you need for cleaning.

I opened up my PC yesterday to give it a clean but it really wasn't that dusty. I guess the air filters on the front intakes are doing their job.

11. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,492
    I'd just fit a dust filter to the intake fan and make sure you've got positive pressure (more fans blowing in than out), that'll keep most of the dust out.

12. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    nothing keeps dust bunnys out no matter what filter it just slows the build up.

13. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,272
    To be honest, if dust is getting in ... dust is in the room.

I'd start with the room, before worrying about the case!

14. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    well building an operating theatre first would help allot as there dustless :D

15. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,834
    This raises the question why are you cleaning the PC?
    Once a year is reasonable but if it is more than that then it sounds like there is some problem.
    If some dust is going to cause cooling problems then you have design issues.

16. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,272
    Well, if the environment is very dusty, expect the PC to look the same. Regular vacuuming etc will solve most of the dust bunny problems.

17. Tall_Paul

Tall_Paul
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    Positive air pressure will help with dust in your system, that way air is being forced out of all the holes in the case. Negative air pressure will mean air (and dust) is being sucked into the case from all the little holes which aren't filtered.

18. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,284
    I use one of these.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
  20. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    +1 positive air pressure massively cuts down on the amount of dust in a case. :)

21. Stockholm

Stockholm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,169
    Thanks for all the tips and suggestions so far.

How dusty your house and its rooms are depends on a number of factors. I know that the house we currently live in is dustier than other places we've lived because of the way the house was constructed, how we ventilate it, what happens inside it on a day to day basis and the local environment our house is in.

That was one of the reasons I waited until the latest Corsair cases were released, as the one I bought (550D) has a number of removable dust filters built into its panels and chassis. They have really helped stop the majority of the dust from penetrating into the case, but some will always get through, and over time, if you don't clean it out, it'll build up to the point it impacts on your PC's thermal performance.

I should take a picture of the dust filters just now as they're clean and then wait a week or so and show you how much dust they've captured.

Their is some construction going on near our house just now, someone is always in the house nearly 24h a day, we have fans in the room where the PC resides, it sits on wooden flooring and there will always be one or two windows open to ventilate the house.

I need to look into getting some kind of air purifier for the room with the PC, one that has HEPA filters or whatever is required to do the job properly. Any good recommendations for something like that?

Edit - I did reverse the direction one of the Noctua fans was facing in order to increase + pressure. There are two fans that came with the case that I might need to remove and reverse for the same reason, and those are critical fans for dust and its spread as they sit near the wooden floor.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  22. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    +1 I bought the ED500 DataVac had it for over a year, saved a fortune and also do friends and family computers for a modest fee:D

23. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    is it that loud as i hear on the tube? good idea on the renting out mate :cool::D
    there is only one place you can get it as well from the looks of things.

24. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    ;)
    It is loud mate, sounds like a hoover but it certainly pushes the dust out of the case and components much more effictively than compressed air.

Like others, I used compressed air and although the cans serve the purpose, I found having to keep the cannister upright awkward in certain situations and a case the size of yours you'd need a twin pack :laugh:

I bought mine from Mrpcclean, at first I thought it was cheap... Then realised it was all +VAT and standard delivery rate was £9.85 bringing the order to £90.04 all in.

Bought it in July last year and I've used it on just my machines in the house 20 times and possibly friends and family 10 times, I'd say double that figure and it's paid for itself as I seem to remember half a cannister used appropiately would be enough to blast a machine with dust filters.

All in all, it's expensive but if you have enough machines to justify the cost and just want an excuse for another toy.... BUY BUY BUY :D

25. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    it does look very powerful them compressed air cans run out of pressure too soon one reason i always buy 2 even the issue with liquid coming out sometimes witch i hate i do have 2 half full cans now that are a waist of time,
    there £82 now posted on amazon from the same place, sounds reliable as well i will never use it as much as you will due to having more machines you have spent my cash again mate you getting your own back or something lol

26. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    That's what you get for flaunting that Cosmos2 in my face:laugh:

27. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    not even sorted it out yet mate still waiting for the FC lol and CM are making a window side Door not sure when it is out though might be out when you get one :D

28. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    I don't blame you mate, I wouldn't do it until the FC was present :thumbsup:

Realistically my purchase should be in October, I may upgrade my 3960x to a 3970x then too :laugh:

29. Stockholm

Stockholm
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,169
    You're a good salesman Crucial! The data vac does sound very good but I just wish it was somewhere about the 40-50 pound mark. Do used ones come round often for sale on places like ebay and our own classifieds here?

I have a few pc parts to get rid of and I'd gladly swap them for something like this, or just sell them and use the money towards a new one.

I actually bought an air purifier today as it only cost £10 and is meant to be pretty effective despite its small price.

Lloyds the pharmacy used to sell their own branded ionising air purifier but it was pulled from their stores after a call from HQ. Very sudden apparently. I found out about them yesterday and I asked a girl I know who works in the one round the corner from my house what the story was regarding them. She doesn't know for sure but she bought one, as did a few others in the shop, and then they were asked to send their units back on the proviso that the packaging was taking up too much shelf space. Hmmm. :confused:

I wonder if it was too effective - seriously. I know I sound mental at this point! - and Lloyds' partners, who also sell air purifiers in their stores, asked them to get rid of them as nobody was now buying their more expensive product. Anyway, lloyds sold the remainder of their stock to bulk buyers who now sell it on ebay. Type in Lloyds ionising air purifier and you'll see wheeler dealers all over the site selling them for a tenner, but type it into lloyds website and nothing appears. It's proper sinister.

Something's up. I know it. It's a devious life out there in the world of air purifiers. Proper James Bond stuff is going on in those Lloyds stores.

We'll see just how well it works.

ps I must be so bored just now to care this much about dust :facepalm:

30. namuk

namuk
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,332
    your not wrong they send the whole unit you can get the cases cheaper on the eu site there refurbished at a £70 saving , i would not even bother 3970x mate.