1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning the AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mattr, Nov 20, 2002.

1. mattr

mattr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My AE100 has developed a large spot right in the center of screen which is rather distracting on dark scenes (all is fine on bright scenes). I'm fairly sure it's not dust on the LCD panels as the dust spot doesn't quite come into focus at either extreme of the focus ring (I'm assuming dust on one of the LCD panels would require very little re-focussing as heck the little LCD pixels are in focus aren't they!). So I'm guessing the dust is on one of the other optical surfaces like the prism, etc.

How daring have people got trying to clean this themselves ? Theoretically I could ;) take the lid off the pj myself and spray some compressed air around it but I'm sure you won't be able to see half of the light paths and the annoying spot would still be there. Is it easy exposing the prism etc to clean them ?

Ultimately as it's still under warranty the dealer can sort it out but it'll only go back to Panasonic and no doubt will come back 6 months later either with the dust still there, or with the dust still there and all sorts of other problems as well. Not that I'm negative, oh no.