1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning the AE100/200/300/500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by snocrash, Dec 7, 2003.

1. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, this topic has been covered a lot -- all information seems to point to the standard old "give the three LCD's a squirt" and she's good to go.

What hasn't been covered is: Any chance of getting Air-brush access to any other part of the optics ? Does anyone have any favorite squirt spots to get rid of dust on the rear of the lens? (or can the lens be removed ?)

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Snocrash,

......................... the search button is your friend - do a search for a post by Calibos on the issue - he did a very full run-down (with pics, iirc) on cleaning an AE300.

Sean G.

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I gave a good description of the process but unfortunately had no batteries for the digicam that night. I posted a pic of an AE300 with the cover off courtesy of Xander which helped ie. "See the 2 screws in the top right of pic" etc etc.

Tis funny you should bring this up though because I noticed some new dust contamination in the same spot on screen and decided that although I probably wouldn't normally bother cleaning again till it got much worse, I decided, sure what the hell...I can take pics this time and maybe make the post worthy of going into Seans' (theritz) Sticky LCD FAQ :D

Expect it in a coupla' days!:D

4. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    allright! I'm all obsessed now!

Not that any of the people around here are like that :)

I'm off to get a can of compressed air...

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't fancy your chances at 2.38am :D

6. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ye who don't have any faith!!
    There's two 24-hour Hardware stores in London.
    Suffice to say it was a quick 45 mile drive :p

7. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Excellent! got an ae100 about a week ago and have been dying to have a root around inside :)

8. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok... this is really becoming an obsession :(

I've given this AE300 a couple of rounds of solid squirting -- it seems to have improved the situation... but it seems to me to be next to impossible to get the optic path free of dust?

I'm going to open it up for the third time and root around some more -- Has anyone attempted to clean the unit while operating while the cover is off ? it'd be good because you could see what ya cleaning.

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I would have to assume that the projector wouldn't start up in the first place, hopefully there's a micro-switch to prevent it from being started without the cover on - I think that the liklihood is that you would end up with more dust etc. in the machine as the fan would suck in unfiltered air from the air path downstream of the filter. Why would you want it operating in the first place - there's loads of descriptions about telling you exactly where to squirt the compressed air.......................:eek:

Sean G.

10. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have you taken the mainboard off yet snocrash?

Take the cover off and place a bedside lamp shining into the lense. Darken the room and you should see most of the surfaces illuminated. With the mainboard off you can see that even the mirrors at the back of the panels are illuminated albeit faintly. This highlights the dust somewhat indicating where to spray.

11. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I didn't take the mainboard off -- just looked too much hassle.

Do you reckon it's essential for cleaning-enjoyment ?

12. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, the adrenaline hit while you try to take the board of without ruining your €2000 PJ is a blast! :D :D

13. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Pulled the main board off -- Yes it gives you a little more access.

Here's a theory I have - The most important areas to be clean are those from the LCD panels outwards - Everything else behind the panels isn't all that important because it's all just unfocused light.

It seems to me; The LCD panels, the polarisers, the smooth-screen crystal thingy (SSCT), and the lens' are the ones to cause trouble -- of which most are pretty damn hard to reach.

The thing which causes extra trouble is the smooth screen crystal -- when you focus the piece of white paper in front of the lens and you get those little star shaped specs of light, what you are seeing is dust lodged on the SSCT --

Wish I could get more access to it - but pulling apart from the optics is too much adrenaline for me.

14. snocrash

snocrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Finally gotton rid of almost all the dust from this ruddy AE300.

I've lost count how many times I've opened the lid on the thing and I was getting worried I was going to run out of Air-Duster - I bought a 250g can of the stuff and it's almost all gone.

I've found a very novel way of detecting dust - Connect only the power to the projector - no other inputs... Turn it on... and in the first 60 seconds of the projector starting up... look directly into the lens --- it shows you wonders :)

cheers all...

I'm back to happy now