1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning system from logging software...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lynx, Sep 2, 2005.

1. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    After an idiot installed two seperate keylogging programs on my pc i now need to ensure system integrity. Any ideas on the best way forward? I recon this may go beyond Spyware removal software however i have various available inc Adaware pro, SpyBot and Hijackthis. Can i rely on the uninstall routines to remove the loggers? I notice there are logging related .dll's in Windows system 32 folder, god knows where-else.
    Will a system restore prior to the install help to solve matters?

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I would run 'msconfig' and see exactly what your PC runs at start-up. Depending on how expert you feel you can either disable nasties from the msconfig start-up tab or you could use regedit to manually remove any dodgy entries from your system registry. One word of warning though... if you're not 100% sure of what you are doing then refrain from manually tinkering in your system registry as you can severely cripple the OS if you make mistakes.

To start msconfig, go to start / run and type msconfig.

*EDIT* A system restore may get you out of trouble. Also do you run a decent firewall like Zonelabs ZoneAlarm?

S.

3. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    A good registry mechanic utility would be useful, EasyClean ver. 2 is quite good, it lets you see the registry entries which should not be there, I have used it a few times and cleaned out the nonsense.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    It's worth grabbing stinger from mcafee's website (free download)

running stinger, along with a spybot full scan ( get spybot 1.4, and update it before scanning), may very well be all you need to bother with to get rid of the keyloggers, depending on which ones etc..

5. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Windows washer is excellent.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I use a combination of Spybot, Ad-Aware and Regcleaner to help keep my computer clean. :)

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Lynx - I use Registry Mechanic which I bought from the shop that you recommended and that seems to work well at cleaning junk from the registry.

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Editing registry entries is not a problem. On the issue of a firewall i use a hardware firewall .

Thanks Ian, i'll peruse the shops website this evening. I think i may have that very utility lying around somewhere anyway.

Thanks for the comments guys.

9. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    this may be worth a read lynx... could well be the one if it's landed recently.

make sure you disable system restore before you start cleaning too... you wouldn't want to be restoring a trojan onto your system months down the line.. ;)

10. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    A good point, I actually keep my system restore permanently switched off. If I'm going to install a program that I'm unsure of, I'll switch on system restore temporarily in case it all goes pear shaped. System restore is a great burden on system resources.

S.

11. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    me too, never use it to be honest.... :thumbsdow

12. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've always found using a disk imaging utiltity such as PowerQuest Drive Image, Norton Ghost or Acronis TruImage to be more effective and easier for system recovery. What I do is to partition my hard drive, so data etc. lives on a seperate partition (D:). Windows XP and programs live on C. Once I install Windows, all drivers and applications, I'll ensure that Favourites, Outlook data etc. are pointing to D. Finally, I create an image either onto DVD or a USB hard drive. If something goes wrong - e.g. spyware, trojans etc., I can back up and running in about 20 mins.

Imaging tools are damn handy for drive upgrades too. I moved my Windows partition over to a new 200GB S-ATA RAID-1 configuration this morning. Used Drive Image to move the C: partition over from DOS, then booted into Windows, created the various partitions with Partition Magic then copied the other stuff over through Windows Explorer.