1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning RAM discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lostinspace, Aug 28, 2005.

1. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I have problems stopping RAM discs from freezing on my Panny 55.All other discs play perfectly with no problems,but I seem to be constantly watching recorded discs which freeze or go blocky after a few uses.I'm not using discs in caddies,but I look after discs better than I look after the wifey,and it's so annoying.The discs freeze if played back on my laptop,too.

I'm getting to the point where I record on VHS now.The picture quality is crap,but at least it's all there.

I'm seriously considering switching to a HDD to record programs,as I don't want to archive anything.

So the question is.....how do you clean RAM discs in case it's just dirt?

2. DRAMBO

DRAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Why don't you use RAM discs in caddys? They are not that expensive, are good for 100,000 re-writes, have a 30yr shelf life, and the caddy protects the discs from grease,dust and finger marks. I have recorded daily on DVD-RAM catridge disc for over 3 years with no failures. You can buy the Panasonic DVD-RAM catridge disc for not much more than the caddyless disc from

APRMEDIA

:thumbsup:

3. troels

troels

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your problem is most likely with the media. What are you using?

4. lostinspace

lostinspace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I use Panasonic and Maxell blanks.No difference with either brand.
    I'll get a couple of discs in caddies to see if it's the way I'm handling the discs.I'd like to think I look after them,though!

5. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,691
    Same here, although I also have a couple of non caddy discs that work fine.
    I wonder if it is your machine that is at fault

6. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Have been using the non-caddy Panasonic dvd-ram discs for quite some time now. These are 3x and have the notation CPRM on the package (This is copy protection and there are threads on this forum from people having trouble formatting these discs again in the same machine if they have been used on the LG PC Writer. Seems like they need to be reformatted in a different machine).

Have purchased some 2x dvd-ram discs from Ebuyer and also some of the green label Ridisc dvd-ram discs from SVP. Haven't used any of the latter yet.

No trouble either using the Panasonic ram discs to date.

7. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, as it happens - I have a one year old (now) E55 with a total of 16 Panasonic DVD-RAM discs, of which 2 are 2x non-caddy versions, 1 is a 2-3x caddy one, and the rest are 2-3x non-caddy with CPRM. Despite the fact that I do a lot of time-shifting (hence the number of discs!) it can't amount to anywhere near the 100,000 rerecords capability of DVD-RAM, yet about 4 of the 2-3x CPRM discs have already developed small glitches - either freezes of up to a couple of seconds, sometimes affecting sound too, sometimes not, or weird partial pictures, even showing a previous, since-erased programme for a second or two, and odd mosaics. Just a couple of these per disc. These errors seem to survive over repeated recordings as they crop up again later (presumably in the same place, but who knows?). The discs have been kept scrupulously clean (to the extent that I doubt the caddied one is any cleaner) and I suspect either the E55 itself as the culprit, or that particular type of disc, since the older pair and the caddied one are OK so far.

Now that I have an EH60D in the house I suppose the next stage should be to copy some of its recordings onto one of these discs and see if there are faults, and then reformat an affected one and do the same. That I suppose ought to prove if it's the disc itself at fault...