Cleaning piano black speakers

I’ve read that chalk in normal water causes scratching and to use bottled water don’t know if that’s true.
Steer clear of wherever you read that, they’ll be claiming that Elvis is still alive!
The minerals are soluble, and therefore simply unable to scratch the paint.
Keeping the room as dust-free as possible is the best option, then, bar the odd fingerprints, you’ll not need to touch the speakers.
In that regard, you could use an air purifier with HEPA filtration but, if that’s too much to spend, then a good merino wool duster would allow you to lift the dust off via static charge attraction.

By way of an example, although don’t go by looks only, as regular wool dusters (not terrible by comparison, of course) have dyed tips to mimic the natural look of merino.

I’ve owned many different piano black speakers over the years and all kept perfectly well in ‘as new condition’.

The key is keeping them free of greasy marks in the first place: don’t handle them without using gloves.

Then don’t use any product on them at all. Simply dust them with a clean microfibre cloth. Don’t clean in a circular motion: just wipe straight across edge to edge.

I really believe using any kind of product, even water, will reduce the longevity of the lacquer.
Back in the day Quad 11L, 12L etc. family came packed with a pair of white cotton gloves. I had a commercial grade 'glass wall' in my house and used it to move the partitions cos it showed every finger. Still have the speakers and gloves but don't fret about perfection in looks when listening!

My piano black speakers are five years old and in a kitchen so need regular cleaning - I use a good quality micro-fibre cloth and a car detailing spray Meguiars Quick Detailer, no swirls and still immaculate. There are a lot of poor quality micro-fibre cloths out there that do more harm than good
I have exactly the same Meguiars quick detailer and I have tried it with great succes. It works for me.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom