Cleaning out the mancave.....

You’re right and cold in winter too. I just searched for Celotex, that’s the stuff that you can cut with a knife so it fits tight between the trusses?

Correct. I can certainly vouch for its effectiveness, as I'm currently sitting in the converted roof space of a bungalow. I remember in my previous house the roof space really got hot as hell in the summer. The Celotex keeps heat in during winter, and reflects heat on the roof during summer.
You're right, it comes in big sheets, and can be cut to fit the space. People usually plasterboard over the top to create a nice finish.

Correct. I can certainly vouch for its effectiveness, as I'm currently sitting in the converted roof space of a bungalow. I remember in my previous house the roof space really got hot as hell in the summer. The Celotex keeps heat in during winter, and reflects heat on the roof during summer.
You're right, it comes in big sheets, and can be cut to fit the space. People usually plasterboard over the top to create a nice finish.
interesting, our roof height is to low to do proper loft conversion. Did you do anything else for like condensation with a membrane or anything? As most lofts are vented typically.

interesting, our roof height is to low to do proper loft conversion. Did you do anything else for like condensation with a membrane or anything? As most lofts are vented typically.

We bought the place with the conversion already done. I think there is some kind of membrane in there too.

We bought the place with the conversion already done. I think there is some kind of membrane in there too.
Ah sorry yeah realised it was NatTheGooner that posted pics and has similar trusses to ours.
I would imagine it be a case of if totally try to seal it up will need to be careful with condensation etc.

Ah sorry yeah realised it was NatTheGooner that posted pics and has similar trusses to ours.
I would imagine it be a case of if totally try to seal it up will need to be careful with condensation etc.

Yeah definitely, there will need to be adequate ventilation in there somehow, otherwise you are asking for trouble.

Yeah definitely, there will need to be adequate ventilation in there somehow, otherwise you are asking for trouble.
I blocked up the ventilation from the soffits with Rockwool and it got damp up there, I had to crawl back into the eaves a couple of months later and pull some back above the vents, it’s absolutely fine now.

Found more museum worthy IT pieces today. Photos shortly.

More assorted ribbon cables; lovely 34 pin floppy cable. 40 pin IDE cables.

IMG_9866.JPG

Various fans.

IMG_9867.JPG

MORE assorted ribbon cables! I can't even remember the last time i used a floppy drive or IDE hard drive.

IMG_9868.JPG

SCSI terminator anyone? 68-pin flavour as well.

IMG_9869.JPG

USB breakaway board, back when motherboards only had 2 USB ports at the back and you needed more!

IMG_9870.JPG

Power splitter cables for fans, back when you couldn't plug a fan into the motherboard.

IMG_9871.JPG

USB -> PS/2 convertor for when you needed to fix a desktop with only PS/2 ports and no USB!

IMG_9872.JPG

Back when CD players first launched, if you wanted music from it, you needed a audio cable from the CD to the soundcard.

IMG_9875.JPG

Firewire for speedy data transfers.

IMG_9876.JPG

Just a pile of more 68-pin SCSI cables.

IMG_9877.JPG

When graphics cards started to become large, you needed a clip to keep it in the AGP slot.

IMG_9880.JPG

Some Tivo tools. Remember those? Big modding world, cache cards, HDD upgrades, etc

IMG_9882.JPG

Some Microsoft volume licensing folders / CD sleeves.

IMG_9883.JPG

Back plates for your cases and motherboard.

IMG_9879.JPG

when i was in the loft the other night i found an on crossover cable...

and i binned an XP installation cd too..

when i was in the loft the other night i found an on crossover cable...

and i binned an XP installation cd too..
I found Win2k CDs but they weren’t genuine.

The days of adding a network card to the TiVo! I'd forgotten about that.

What a revelation getting a TiVo was all those years ago, and then being able to grab recordings from it. All seems a little archaic now.

I binned a load of stuff at the end of last year, it felt good to get rid of it.

I even binned my Commodore 64, I was just really hanging onto it for sentimental reasons, but one of the keys had snapped off and I doubt the power pack or tape drive still worked. It probably hadn't been powered on in over 20 years.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom