1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning Lenses - Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mark Ward, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Looking at my lenses on my BG801S last night I noticed a small smudge on one, about the size of the dog's nose.

They are also a little dusty. Before I give them a buff up is there any advice I should follow?

I was intending to use a dry, newly washed duster but if there is a recommended cleaning solution I'd rather use that.

Thanks,

Mark.

2. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

If you have to clean the lenses then you should use a good lens cleaning fluid and lens tissues from a camera store.

Brian

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    My advice is don't unless it really bugs you.

the front element of ALL CRT lenses will be plastic and they are so easy to scratch they are far softer than camera lenses

use a very soft brush, I've found the best are the big blusher brushes from Boots. to get rid of the bits of dirt.

A lint free soft cloth and HUFF

You can use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and industrial methelated spirits with 1 drop of washing up liquid per litre.

NEVER EVER use tap water or spit.

4. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I used the same mixture as Roland just suggested (I got the idea off Gordon Fraser's website).

It worked well and the lenses look great inside the projector. Be careful not to rub the coating off.

Before using the mixture and Jessop cleaning cloth I used blew off as much stuff as I could with one of those plastic lense blowing thingies. You don't want to rub any grit into the lense and stratch it.

5. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Despite the dust on the lens and the small smudge mark (dog now banned from HT room) the picture is actually very good. I think I may just leave them alone.

I seem to have a knack for making things worse whilst trying to improve them. Nearly flooded the HT removing "unused" heating pipes.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice tho',

Mark.