Cleaning insides of PC

Mr Lazy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I recently opened up my case for the first time in a few months and was surprised at how much dust was on the motherboard etc.

How do you guys clean the insides of your PCs and how often?

I have an 'air duster' can but would be nervous about using that as it tends to emit a small amount of moisture.

FWIW, case is Antec 300 (1 fan on top, 1 fan at rear, PSU at bottom).

TIA.

The most popular way of cleaning out cases is compressed air. It works best for smaller cleaning (like caps and indepth on cards). It can leave a residue, but as long as your PC is OFF and Unplugged then you shouldn't have an issue. It's not water and it evaporates quite quickly.

I have to admit, when I cleaned out my case (My gfx card was overheating, getting to 100C) there was about 3 years worth or dust inside it. I didn't go the compressed air route, I used a hoover (VERY CAREFULLY) to get the majority of the dust inside, before blowing the dust out of the smaller places.

I also use a vacum cleaner, very carefully though. I'm not a fan of the air dusters as all they do is move the dust, not suck it out of the way permanently.

yeah if you use something like a hoover on a very low setting and maybe something like a paint brush that works. I'd be wary about brining the hoover too close to the compartments though. You could use proper compressed air and hoover up the dust that collects at the bottom of the case too.

I generally just use a brush.

Although my new PC has an air filter which does mean it's nice and clean even after half a year of use, but does mean I have to clean the filter every month (just a case of running water through it and then drying it)

Hoover sounds best as it'll remove dust rather than move it around. But I read somewhere that it was a very bad idea because you get electromagnetic fields which can zap your components. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Prevention is better than cure. If you keep the areas round any vents in your case dust free it'll save your PC acting as a hoover and sucking it up. I've just noticed the large midtower I've bought for my build has vents on the underneath! I was thinking of putting it on the carpet under the table. Change of plan.

We have a Dyson DC01, very powerful but I'm concerned that the nozzle will be too big and I'd end up bashing things, maybe I'll see if I can mod a smaller attachment. Was thinking of getting one of those mini vacuums but I've had a keyboard vacuum before and it was useless, just not powerful enough. Like the idea of the paint brush I'm going to try that. Also like the idea of the air filter I'll see if the Antec 300 can take one.

i have a little blower brush that i use, it has a brush that has a plastic covering

the plastic covering can slide down to reveal the brush and there is a nozzle inside that if you squeeze the end if will blow air. with the plastic cover in place it just blows air - can make your hand hurt though :D

Insides of a PC can take a swift brush of Dyson, just as long as you don't treat it too harsly.

Pretty much the same as what these guys have already said. Just use a vacuum cleaner, I tend not to use compressed air is it just blows the dust around rather than getting rid of it. Unless of course you take it outside..but just make sure its not raining when you do :D

Pretty much the same as what these guys have already said. Just use a vacuum cleaner, I tend not to use compressed air is it just blows the dust around rather than getting rid of it. Unless of course you take it outside..but just make sure its not raining when you do :D
...turn it off and unplug it first :D

If you look around you can find mini battery powered hoovers, these generate a lot less static electricity and will therefore not zap you components however long you use them for but i would still use with caution just to be on the safe side :thumbsup:

@EndlessWaves - you mean something like this?: Startech 8cm Cleanable Air Filter - For Case Fans Uk - Ebuyer

Need to find a 12cm version as the Antec 300 has a 12cm fan on top as well as the 8cm on the side.

Just thinking about this a bit more though...surely these fans are only good if fitted to intake fans, and don't achieve much if fitted to exhaust fans?

Although my new PC has an air filter which does mean it's nice and clean even after half a year of use, but does mean I have to clean the filter every month (just a case of running water through it and then drying it)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom