Cleaning FMJ A32 Front Panel

David-Bel

Standard Member
Hello everyone,

My 2 1/2 year-old daughter dropped her orange juice glass on the floor the other day and some of it reached the front board of my A32, leaving a few ugly stains. I did not notice it immediately and so they have dried up. The point now is that I can't take them away!

Is there any way or any stuff I could use to remove these stains? The surface of the A32 front board is particularly rough.

Thks for your help!

per-Sony-fied

Are you saying you've got orange juice on your Arcam metal front panel and the stains won't clean off with some soapy hot water?

David-Bel

Standard Member
per-Sony-fied said:
Are you saying you've got orange juice on your Arcam metal front panel and the stains won't clean off with some soapy hot water?
Yes, indeed.

Crustyloafer said:
Use some Milty Permaclean spray and a lint free cloth, cleans pretty much anythnig in my shop so far.
Milty Permaclean? I thought it was meant to be used to clean vinyls. But ok i'll try it. Thanks Crusty. Other than that, I still cannot figure out what sort of lint free wiper I could use on an abrasive metal such as the one used by Arcam for their FMJ front panel. :rolleyes:

per-Sony-fied

David-Bel said:
Yes, indeed.
Umm in that case I'd be surprised if there is anything as effective that's not abrasive since water is the natural diluter for Orange juice.

If the front panel is silver and not painted one could try some household diluted detergent and a soft toothbrush otherwise I fear for some very faint scratches and some possible colouration however seems to do no harm to painted surfaces around the house :).

I'd try Crusty's idea first.

David-Bel

Standard Member
per-Sony-fied said:
Umm in that case I'd be surprised if there is anything as effective that's not abrasive since water is the natural diluter for Orange juice.

If the front panel is silver and not painted one could try some household diluted detergent and a soft toothbrush otherwise I fear for some very faint scratches and some possible colouration however seems to do no harm to painted surfaces around the house :).

I'd try Crusty's idea first.
A soft toothbrush, that's also a very good idea per-Sony-fied!
Thks.

Crustyloafer

David-Bel said:
Other than that, I still cannot figure out what sort of lint free wiper I could use on an abrasive metal such as the one used by Arcam for their FMJ front panel. :rolleyes:
I use an optical cleaning cloth, the sort you use for cleaning camera lenses and spectacles.

andym

If it's any help, a couple of years ago Andrew Dutton (ARCAM) found out how ARCAM themselves clean FMJ equipment prior to shipping. They use MYKAL fast drying precision cleaner DE-SOLV-IT available from RS components for £4.25 + VAT. A pack of one hundred 10 cm x 10 cm lint-free cotton cloths is £10.62 + VAT. The RS reference numbers are 203-0716 and 558-795 respectively. They'll charge £4.95 for shipping (unless you have an account). If my arithmetic is right, including postage and VAT, the cost for both is £23.29 (as of a couple of weeks ago).

I must admit, I don't know how good the cleaner is at removing orange juice but I'd have thought you could use the cloths moistened with warm distilled water - in my area of London we drink the water with a knife and fork - as a start.

Good luck!

Andy

Greggles

Thanks for the info - have orderd 2 bottles of the spray. I find the matt black FMJ finish a bugger to clean and am often wiping dried dog saliva of the front panel (don't ask)with a damp lint free cloth as every other cleaner I have tried leaves a smear.

Top Bottom