Cleaning dust Blob on the MT1/MT3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cg999, Jan 1, 2002.

1. cg999

cg999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Happy new year. I have the MT3 about six months now and have noticed my first dust blob. I'm not sure wheather it is on the inside of the lense or on an LCD panel. I'm just wondering has anyone else cleaned an MT1/MT3 before? what's involved in the proceedure? and any other useful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Conor

2. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    How does the blob appear on the screen. When you refocus the projector does the blob go in and out of focus. Im interested because I have the same sort of problem on my Sanyo PLV-30. Not so much a problem , more an irritation.
    Mark

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Dust on the lens will be too out of focus to notice. I'm sure you will find yours is is further into the optical block.

You can determin where the dust is by focusing the projector properly. then rack the lens focus back and forth untill the dust comes sharp.

If the lens moved forwards to get it sharp then it is in front of the optical block and should be relativly easy to blow free with a camera puffer brush or similar.

If you had to focus the lens physically backwards then the dust is in the optical path behind the LCD pannels and time for an expert.

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep,
    Rolands said it all.
    When I had a Sony LCD (BC,CRT) a few years back, I had to take the thing apart around every 3 months to have a dig at the prism area where most of my dust seemed to collect.
    If you have a lot of patience you can manage. If not, take it into a service centre.

Eric

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have cleaned the dust out of my MT1. Its not difficult, but you have to be very carefull. Also its best to remove the cover in a relativley dust free area or you may end up worse off!
    I used an aerosol dust sprayer to do the job.

:p