Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

cleaning bulb

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by drunknmunky, Apr 29, 2005.

1. drunknmunky

drunknmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have some sort of stains on the bulb of my projecter is it ok to use something like a cotton bub to get it off ?

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A cotton bud wouldn't be ideal. You'd be better with a lint free wipe & alcohol (Isopropyl is ideal....leaves no residue).

:smoke:

3. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would not recommend touching with anything, the bulb my appear to have dark or white stains, but this is normal after usage, if its working then its ok

4. drunknmunky

drunknmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it puttin orange grains on the screen whitch is really annoying

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    Is it definitely the lamp or could it be dust blobs in the optical path? Try moving the zoom from one extreme to the other, as this can sometimes improve the look of the blob and identify it a such - they start to come into focus a little.

If it's dust, it can possibly be blown out with a can of air (make sure it's one that doesn;t leave a residue).

If it's the lamp, how did the staining get there? Is it inside or outside? It may be possible to clean it, but as has already been said, make sure it's totaly clear of any residue before putting it back.

Gary.

6. drunknmunky

drunknmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it definatly looks to be the lamp i took it out last night and the stains looks to be on the outside of the lamp

7. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There's no way any stains on the lamp would show up on the screen as they would be way our of focus. Stains could give you an overall hue but not anything sharp enough to identify.

Jeff :rtfm:

8. drunknmunky

drunknmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all i know is there is sort of a red grain effect on the screen and i took the lamp out and it looks to be a simular patten on the bulb that shows on the screen so i think i might just get a new lamp and filter see what happens

9. ptek

ptek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Drunkn,
    Still can't picture the "red grain effect", not sure by what you mean, is it a reddish cast or uneven white level ?, or blotchy specks/grains.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think you are trying to describe "Magenta" coloured "Grains" or more precisely, dust on green LCD panel showing up as reddish looking grains.

Very much doubt, replacing the lamp will have any effect, except to say it would make the problem appear worse !

Agree with Gary, it needs a clean and blow out :hiya:

10. drunknmunky

drunknmunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Attached Files: