Cleaning black Arcam equipment

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Tracey, Sep 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone own any of the FMJ range in black, if so how do you clean your equipment? Arcam suggest using a lint free cloth, but where would I get one from? My P7 now has smears all accross it where I tried to wipe a piece of dust off with my finger :mad: I don't have any lint free cloths. I just want to make sure I don't end up scratching it with something that isn't suitable.

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To clean all my HiFi i use a lint free cloth dampened with a weak solution of fairy liquid (or similar) then buffed up gently with a t-towel

This has allways worked very well an all my kit looks mint!

3. NickP

NickP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Muscle Window Cleaner and kitchen towl :smashin:

It's amazing what it will clean....

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Use any old t shirt to wipe it. That'll do nicely.

5. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use one of those magic E cloths I think they are called, one is for glass and one for stainless steel, seems to work really well.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi tracy
    Nickp was right about mr muscle window cleaner its the only thing i know that will clean high gloss work tops and stainless steel kitchen appliances without leaving smears just use plain white kitchen roll to buff it up dye leaks out of coloured kitchen roll.
    Cheers Gonzo.
    :D

7. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Having a similar problem with mine ... the surface finish is strange - not glossy, not smooth and seems to catch even on lint free cloths ...

gazzerr where did you get 'magic E cloths' ?

Jon

8. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it as a present but I'm not sure where you get it in the UK - not lived there for 10 years now. I think I have seen it in some of the free handouts you get in magazines and the like containing clever, or not so, clever ideas. I would have thought that John Lewis or big dept stores would stock it but i am guessing. It works well and on the telly as well no smears and the cloth is usually quite dirty afterwards

9. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    magic e cloths sounds like the things that are on those dodgy 'JML cleaning solutions' adverts along with their array of iron board covers and knife sets :/

Those kind of things retail at places like homebase/poundstretcher etc iirc

10. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'll definiltey try that on my stainless steel cooker hood and oven, thanks. I'm a bit wary about using it on my AV8/P7 and DV27 though. I think B&Q do a few cleaning cloths that are lint free and anti static, might see what they've got, it's all really dusty now :(

11. mammoth

mammoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try a microfibre cloth available everywhere.:eek:

12. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Best thing to bring stainless steel back to its lustre is 'baby oil' ... there now 1002 household uses ;-)

Still looking for a suitable liquid to put on a cleaning cloth for the AV7/8 though ...

Jon

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon, tell me you're not using the AV8 processor Arcam P7 poweramp with Gallo Micros?

14. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Nathan ... I am, as they say, 'between speakers' ... the gallos are a result of having to 'downsize' as I moved from my large flat into my partner's 'smaller' flat and the B&W's had to go ... ;-(

Having said that, when we move next year I shall be 'upsizing' accordingly and feel a set of 700s or 800s will suffice ;-)

Jon

15. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ooh baby oil eh I must try that, thanks.

16. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've got one of these at home but completely forgot about what it's used for, I'll give it a go.

17. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi,

Since there has been alot of discussion about cleaning the matt finish we use on the FMJ and DiVA products, I asked our production department how they clean them before shipping.

The product they use is MYKAL DE.SOLV.IT Fast drying precision cleaner. No. DS11000FD. This can be purchased from RS components, its RS No. is 203 - 0716. £4.25 + VAT and P&P

This should be used with a lint free cleaning cloth (the microfiber ones should be ok but test it first by spraying a bit on to it to check.) The unit MUST be switched off before cleaning, this solvent is highly inflamable and requires good ventilation.

Alternatively we recomend using a slightly damp cloth (lint free) to remove minor marks. I cannot vouch for any of the other cleaners, and can warn you not to use silicon sprays (polishes) as they can leave indelible white marks on the unit if it is subsequently wiped with a damp cloth.

Andrew

18. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that it's much appreciated :clap:

19. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +553
    Be aware that RS do not sell to the general public ... so you may need to ask a friend to set up a cash trade account if you can't do so yourself ...

I got soem yesterday and it worked on the AV8 but not on my P7 ... Andy I'll carry this on PM as the finish on my P7 is much rougher than the AV8/Dv27 :-(

Jon

20. regie

regie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Sorry if I cause any confusion here, Mykal De.Solv.It is the name used for a range of products one of which is a stain remover.

Mykal DE.SOLV.IT stain remover and pre wash No. 4755 is not a surface cleaner DO NOT USE THIS on any ARCAM equipment.

You need to use the product described by the full product name, MYKAL DE.SOLV.IT Fast drying precision cleaner. No. DS11000FD. This is from their industrial range not the consumer range.

Fast Dry Precision Cleaner (DSI 1000FD)
    Fast drying safe solvent cleaner for precision cleaning of engineering or electrical components prior to painting, non destructive testing or final assembly operations. High Di-electric strength over 30,000 volts. Formulated to replace highly flammable solvents such as Naptha,Thinners etc. Will remove a wide range of soils such as oils, greases, cutting fluids etc. Low residue. Flashpoint 46C.

PLEASE NOTE THE FLASH POINT, this is VERY low the unit MUST be turned of at the mains before cleaning.
    (Note: this does not mean it will burst into flames at 46C it means that the vapour off of the liquid will be sufficiently strong to be able to be ignited without contact to the liquid)

I also emphasise that this is a very high VOC product so must be used in a well ventilated area.

Regards,
    Andrew