Cleaning an elderly VCR (and spare parts availability).

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Flimber, Feb 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    I've got a pair of 12yr-old Nordmende SVHS decks (JVC HR-S5000/5500 in a different case). Playback has been noisy for a while and I want to spruce them up in their old age as I'm rather attached to them. Any tips/guides/advice would be very much appreciated. And are spare heads still available ? New or otherwise, if need be. Where should I start looking for spares.

Cheers,
    Mike.

2. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You need isopropyl alcohol and chamois sticks. NOT cottons as these will leave fibres. Disconnect from the mains and take off the lid and any metal screen so you can see the head (large silver drum). The top of the drum rotates and you can do that by hand. Hold the very top or better still just rest a finger on the top surface. The electronics is static sensitive so touch case to equalise potentials and if you like nylon underwear then don't wear while doing this :D .

The heads are the little brown specs you can see in the gap between the top and bottom drum. About 1mm or so wide. They are ok with pressure in the rotation plane (i.e. same a tape drag on them) but will break on sideways pressure.

So wet chamois stick with isopropyl. Place across drum gap away from head then rotate drum with finger to wipe muck off head. Do same for all heads on drum. Remove stick from drum when head in NOT under it so you don't apply sideways force by mistake.

Use stick to clean the rest of the tape path. Allow to dry for a few hours otherwise wet heads with acquire more muck.

The responsiblity for doing this is all yours :lesson:

3. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Flimber,

If you don't fancy attempting a head clean yourself, if you want to bring them to me I'll give 'em a quick once over for you - no charge. :thumbsup:

Don't think I'm a million miles away from you... PM me.

A. Dork

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Where are you located Mr. D. ?

5. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Thanks Bearded_Malc, I might just give it a whirl. I'd have probably just gone for cotton buds before your post :D Where to get me some chamois sticks though (?).

What do either of you fine chaps think about getting new head assemblies for these beasties ? Will it be stupid money ?

Also, the capstans, rollers, gearing etc. Same method + gentle airblasting ?

Thanks,
    Mike.

6. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    How about from maplin ? (YN99H if the link doesn't work). I wouldn't bother with new parts although pinch rollers can wear which tends to throw the tape and chew it. They can be changed easily but you didn't say you had that problem. I would expect it's just muck on the heads. Manual cleaning is far more effective than cleaning tapes in my experience.

The problem with change heads is that it's all precision engineering. Touch anything and you have to set it up and you need a jig, I think, perhaps not if you could just change the drum top but I believe the drum is pair, again due to close tolerances. You probably also need a an alignment tape. All of which is a lot of money to spend and you could get a DVR for the same or less I would guess.