• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cleaning Aiwa tape deck

kmurph

Standard Member
I have an Aiwa AD-F410 tape deck which is getting on a little bit now. Hasn't been used an awful lot in the last few years and presumably because of this, when I play tapes in it now everything sounds a bit wobbly if you know what I mean!

I still have quite a few tapes and want to transfer them to mini-disc so I can get rid of the tapes.

Any suggestions on what I can clean or oil to get the deck back to a reasonable condition? I've ran my head cleaning tape thingy through it a few times which hasn't made a huge difference.

Thanks

Mylo

Distinguished Member
IPA is indeed the best substance for cleaning tape heads, make sure you dont get any on the rollers though as it is bad for them. If you supect they need cleaned due to a build up of oxide then you can buy special cleaner designed for pressure rollers. Maplin or CPC may well stock both products.

kmurph

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.

Would the fact that everything being played on the deck sounds as I said somewhat wobbly indicate a possible problem with the motor powering the rollers?

Mylo

Distinguished Member
Dirt on the heads and rollers is the normal cause. I work on military tape decks for a living. :) In my limited experience of domestic tape decks the motors fail completely rather than gradually go wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom