Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Cleaning Advice

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by President Gas, Sep 23, 2003.

1. President Gas

President Gas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

I have a rather old Sony 50" Widescreen LCD Rear Projection TV.

I can't remember the model number exactly I think it is something like KV50WL2.

Anyway, I've had the set well over 5 years now and have been more than happy with it. Never had a days problem. As you can imagine, after this time, the screen is a little on the dirty side and shows up some serious blemishes, particulary on light backgrounds.

The instruction manual recommenda cleaning with a lint free cloth or mild soapy lukewarm damp cloth.

I'm a bit worried about this as previous attempts to clean the screen, while getting rid of an awful lot of muck, did leave behind a "patch" on the screen which is very irritating.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the safest way to clean the screen without any damage. It will need to be some kind of wet clean as a dry cloth just does not get rid of the blemishes I mentioned earlier.

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Gas

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screen is not glass- it's plastic. I wouldn't like to say what that'll do to plastic.

Since it's LCD (fan) it might need the dust removed from the optics.. use a air can to blow any crud away. And clean the fliter. The other side of the screen will probably need a clean as well, plus the lens.

3. President Gas

President Gas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    OK

Now I'm not the most confident person when it comes to opening up complicated equipment like this and would probbaly stuff it up.

Is this the kind of thing thats worthwhile paying for someone to professionaly clean, or is it getting a bit too old for that now and it would cost more than its worth sort of thing?