1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cleaning a screen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sloth, Sep 24, 2005.

1. sloth

sloth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    hi,

my sony 32" crt is about 4.5 years old. whilst it is dusted every week the cabinet (which is silver) has got some ingrained dirt on which doesn't shift with a damp cloth. the same is true of the screen. can anyone recommend a product to clean the tv up nicely

thanks for any help

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sloth,

I found a microfibre cloth, squeezed out in very hot water does the trick for the cabinet. The property of this cloth is that it works without cleaning agents (it is not impregnated with chemicals). Before I bought the cloth (available in all supermarkets) I used a damp cloth dipped in hot water with a dash of fairy liquid. I always dry it immediately afterwards with a soft tea towel. I usually clean the screen with the hot water/fairy liquid solution on a sponge cloth and also dry that with a soft cloth. I did put window cleaning spray on the screen a couple of times then thought it may not be good for it. It doesn't seem to have harmed it. I haven't used the microfibre cloth on this in case it is not suitable but it does work well on windows.

My set is just over a year old with silver cabinet, so I would imagine yours is made of the same materials as mine.

I had read that an l.c.d. screen should be cleaned with spectacle cleaning solution, available from the optician so if nothing else worked on your cabinet that would probably be a safe solution.

Like you, I normally just dust everything but give the cabinet a wet clean every couple of months, and the screen is wet cleaned once a week. Thankfully our cat is now too old to sit on top of the tv!

3. sloth

sloth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks for your advice, it has been helpful