1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaner Electricity and its real value .. !?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Brad_Porter, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you may wonder why, with a title like 'Cleaner Electricity and its real value' this subject is in the 'Speakers and Subwoofers' section. Allow me to explain.

I plugged my Sub into the wall and switched it on and it has an ever so slight 'wind' noise that I can hear. I must tell you that because my room is so small and the reason I can hear this is only because my sub is 3 feet away from me!! The noise is weakened by hitting the 'bypass' switch but it always there. Be under no illusion, the sub works really really well (it a V125 and works wonderfully in my room) but there is just an ever so slight noise.

GET TO THE FRIGGING POINT, BRAD

Ahem. Yes. I was wondering if buying these power points that 'clean' the electricity and apparently make better bass and mid-range sound as a result are really worth purchasing or not?

Also, in my instructions it says that the sub might be susceptible to mains noise pickup (or something) and wondered if these electric cleaners my help a little.

Can someone help or advise? I am a complete novice here!

Regards,
    Brad

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There has been a few threads recently in General Hardware on this subject. I haven't read them thoroughly as cleaning anything is my wife's domain.

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ian.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Check out the Russ Andrews website for more info. I haven't tried these produtcs myself, but have heard some people get great results, others no change at all. Some have gone overboard and added so many that they start producing "noise" of their own to their setups:eek:

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brad, no matter what anyone *tells* you, you'll not really know for sure til you try and clean the mains up a little.

My suggestion would be to buy a YellO power cable and a Silencer from Russ Andrews (would total maybe £80?) and use their month trial/money back guarantee to either prove the investement was worthwhile or send the stuff back and lose nothing other than a little time and postage costs.

For what it's worth, my own experience is that the YellOs and Silencer (especially) do make a positive difference... albeit not as 'chalk and cheese' as RA may claim.

Good luck and let us know your results.

6. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The YellO cable you talk about - I wonder.........

My Denon 3802 Amp has a fixed cable for the power but there is also another port that looks like an alternative power supply port.

Is this the case? Can I use the YellO cable with the amp?

Cheers

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Brad

The other port is for plugging in a cd player, dvd player etc. It daisychains from the amps power supply as it were. Its a 2 pin plug that you find in Europe (got my cd player plugged into my amp).

To use a Yello power cable you would have to cut off the existing cable and use an adaptor to connect.

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DON'T use the other port-it's a power OUTPUT-to use a different power cable you would need to cut the existing power lead leaving about 3inches and connect up accordingly and with your amp unplugged.
    Jase, must have been posting at same time.

9. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might just give that a go then. Cheers all.

Regards,
    Brad

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a PS Audio p600 power plant which generates new power with stable voltage, perfect (selectable) frequency, and a perfect sine wave. It also removes about 70dB of noise from the mains. I still use Russ Andrews power cables to lower impedance and remove RFI.

It's the single most important part of my system; until I got it, I was always hearing a combination of my system and the mains, with my system always sounding about ten times better after around 10 at night - drove me mad!!

My suggestion is this: if your power is as bad as mine, throw as much money as possible at sorting it out. If your system sounds like a portable AM radio during the day, and only begins to reach it's full potential late at night, then you have a problem (as I did).

Hope this helps!

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ARD electronics do RFI-filtering 4-, and 6-way multiplug adapters for under £9 (+ V.A.T. + delivery).

Mike.

12. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did get Audio Design mains blocks, try Russ Andrew´s, or other, with or without mains conditioning, (mine only filter RF and EMF), then connect everything to them, no need to cut or modify power cords...

13. john87

john87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here! I might look into it...