Cleaned the bathroom today and...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Foebane72, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    ...then I come back after my housemate has had a shower, left the floor soaking wet as usual, and the light on, and I see a "F*** U" with a smiley face above it written in condensation on the mirror! It's like he wanted me to see it, I'm the only one who would have before the mirror cleared.

Is this the thanks I get? I've gotten on fine with my housemate in the past, but now I sense things have changed for the worst ever since the rumour spread between him and his friends (who frequently visit) that I may be gay - even though I'm really not.

I'm feeling a bit hurt and upset now, unless that insult said with a smiley face means I shouldn't worry?

2. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Your flat mate doesn't happen to be a member of Avforums does he?

3. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,602
    Call him on it, either it's innocent or not but either way it's unlikeable behaviour.

4. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I don't think I'll do that, as it'll prove that his intimidation (if it IS that) is getting to me, or he'll just deny it anyway. It IS steam, after all.

5. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I doubt it.

6. arenaman

arenaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,931
    Sounds like a daft joke to me especially with the smiley, I don't think I'd be too bothered by it

7. GaseousClay

GaseousClay
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,944
    Get some talcum powder and leave a dusting of it on the closed toilet lid, then take a dump on the lid and in the talc leave a message "F*** U 2" ready for when he needs to take his first morning dump.

8. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    BTW, he's always leaving the floor wet when he showers, so I'm used to that. And I wouldn't be surprised if he's left other messages on the mirror in the past, but this was the first time I'd spotted it. He also leaves the light on sometimes when he's been in the bathroom.

If they think I'm gay, then I just wish they'd come straight out and ask me. On the other hand, it could be my paranoid imagination making most of the perceived homophobia up. Goddammit, this gay thing has bothered me for most of my adult life, I'm fed up of worrying about it. I guess I'm afraid I'll be attacked over it, it wouldn't be the first time.

9. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,603
    Put a post it note on his bedroom door with 'I've got my eyes on you' written on.

Then pop a couple of Pigs eyes on his pillow.

Pigs eyes can be easily obtained from the local Butcher. If they ask, tell them they are being dissected at a school.

10. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,590
    Give the ****** a slap. That'll show him your not to ****ed about with!

11. amkhan

amkhan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Talk to him, a wet floor is actually quite dangerous, joking aside.

12. sasso420

sasso420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Do you own the house? If you do, wait while he's out bag up all his stuff and throw it in the street. Then get the locks changed.

If you rent, have a word with the landlord and see if they can do anything.

As a last resort, just punch him right in the middle of his face and see how he likes them apples.

13. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    A lot of these are not very helpful, you know. I'd really like to know if the F U with a smiley face is an insult or just a immature joke or a friendly jibe, I don't want to escalate the situation, nor do I want it treated as a joke.

14. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,603
    Might have nothing to do with you, he might have just written on the mirror.

15. phillyd1981

phillyd1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,477
    He's your room mate none of us are in a position to be able to answer that we do not know him. what does your gut instinct tell you!

16. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,677
    We aren't here to tell you whether you should be offended or not. As you've said, you're an adult. Take it how you will and deal with it appropriately - probably just by rising above it, there are more important things in the world.

17. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,162
    Couldn't say, it could be a harmless joke, could be pretty big hate, hard for anyone to say that other than you. Either way this chap sounds like a bell end.

18. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Why don't you try bringing a woman home? They'll know you're not a gay then.

19. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,501
  20. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Not interested, either way. If only they knew that.

21. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    The other thing that gets me is that the message on the mirror would've disappeared in a short time, and I would never have seen it, so maybe he did scrawl it for himself, for whatever weird things youths get up to. He and his friends seem to be in their mid-20s, hard to tell.

22. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I wouldn't worry about it too much.

If I had to bring the subject up, a light-hearted, jokey "Hey, the message on the mirror, what was that about?" would be about as far as I'd go.

It might just be a crap joke, which was intended to be in isolation, which you're linking to the state of the bathroom. Knowing folk I've lived with, most of them didn't even realise when they left things in a state.

Not worth worrying about either way :)

23. Boozehound

Boozehound
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I'd just ask him. Probably just harmless fun in his eyes but if he does have a problem with you then maybe it's time to move? Living with that hanging over you will make you miserable.

24. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I've lived at the house over seven years. The landlord's fine, the local area is pleasant enough and the house is familiar. The only uncertainty is the fact it's shared accommodation, and that my fellow tenants, of which a dozen have moved in and out over that time, have been a mixed bag, some good, some bad - as many of you here can attest to concerning my posts about them.

But I don't fancy the strain of uprooting, especially when my only option is another shared accommodation place, and that I might end up in some place with someone just as annoying, or worse.

No, I'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

About a decade ago, when I still lived with my parents, I was tormented by my friend's sister (two doors down) and her mates because they thought I was gay, and I finally confronted them one day and then the problem went away. If an opportunity like that opens here, I will say the same thing, but I'll wait for them to make the move.

The baffling thing was, that the guy has been here for a whole 11 months now, and the gay thing only started last month when I heard his mates pass by outside my door (on the landing) and one said "do you think he's gay?" Maybe they were talking about someone else, but then my paranoid mind started conjuring up all manner of theories, all making me miserable when I shouldn't need to be. Surely it's all acceptable these days, homosexuality?

I think my biggest fear is that they'll assault me, or even worse. I have been spat at and punched in the stomach about it by people in the decade or so before, and that was by people I knew (former friends!), or their friends. I've had people I'd just met whirl round and scream at me about it, like the Body Snatchers in the film when they identify a human. I've had the whole community turn against me...

...and all because my lips parted (in what they percieved to be a suggestive manner) when I once looked up at my new lecturer, in front of the group, because I pick my lips a lot and they happened to be totally dry then. Was nothing to do with homosexuality at all. That was back in 1994, and only in the last decade or so has it abated, but now, for some reason I cannot possibly imagine, it's likely come back.

I could write a book on this.

25. WeegyAVLover

WeegyAVLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,899
    Rousetarian hit the nail on the head.
    Ask him about it - in anyway you think suits.
    It has nothing to do with intimidation, it is either; not meant for you or is meant for you.

I find small things like this are the things that would niggle me and bug me as he is clearly taking the p**s!

26. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,211
    Perhaps you need to speak to a counsellor because there is too much stuff about this going on in your head right now. Coupled with the fact that you have had a rough ride in the past it might be worth having some help with getting your head right.

27. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,037
    Why? Why should you care? I don't give a crap what goes through others' minds about who I'm doing it with.

Actually, why not bring a platonic male friend back just for the hell of it?

EDIT ..
    Seeing as you've mentioned several situations since 1994, it does seem to me that it's paranoia, since hardly anyone is hung up about someone being gay .... yes, vacuous people are into tittle tattle and there will always be gossips

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  28. Rorifett

Rorifett
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,238
    ****ing hell

I've got a new thread idea, I'll ask people for advice and then ignore it.

I love threads like this...

29. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,624
    Foebane, you sound very paranoid and VERY sensitive! Do you think you are?

In my line of work I often have to deal with people who seem to have a very similar outlook as you. They can see conspiracy against them everywhere, including in things which are nothing to do with them and see everything as a personal slight against them. These people are often intelligent and articulate but once they get the idea in their head that something is against them, nothing can change their point of view.

Unfortunately because there is often nothing really wrong or the problem isn't really how they perceive it, then there is no way of solving it (as it would require the person to change their point of view). They go to the police then get the hump when they are told there is no criminal offence so nothing to do with the police or the matter is not capable of being proven to a judicial disposal. So then they feel that the police are against them too! And they say things like "so its ok for them to harass me and ruin my life then is it" because thats how they feel when the truth is they have misunderstood something or there is no criminal intent.
    Sometimes the person can end up causing problems where their previously wasn't any!

Now, I'm not saying that you are paranoid and making things up but it seems that, maybe due to your previous experiences, you are reading too much into this. No one has said anything to you about thinking you are gay and even if they do, why is this a problem for you? What do you have against gay people?
    Why do you care what people think about you?
    What are you going to do about these problems? Can you tell your housemate that you would appreciate it if he didn't leave the bathroom floor wet because you don't want to have to wear shoes just to go in there. If you have a problem with seeing "F*** U" on the mirror then tell your housemate you saw it and ask him if he directed it at you and why did he do it.

I don't quite get why you would ask people here what it means and if you should be worried (what does that mean anyway?) when none of the people here are the housemate who did it. You will only find answers by speaking to the man, you won't find any answers here I'm afraid.

Hope this doesn't offend you as that isn't my intention, but I do find candid honesty is often the best way forward.

30. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,309
    exactly - he seems a bit of a tit...

how old is he, 17?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.