1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean XP install over win ME question?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Pollywoggle, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Son's PC, ongoing saga.......I am replacing windows ME with my newly arrived OEM xp, I was advised here to do a clean install so could someone give me a few pointers, do I need to format the pc first or will xp do this?
    God I hate windows ME, help me be rid of it forever!!!

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The XP installer should let you clear out the machine first.

When you boot the CD you'll get some intro screens, the usual mile-long EULA in which you sign away your first-born to Uncle Bill, then you'll get to choose whether to upgrade your existing installation or not, you'll obviously say NO to this.

It should list the available partitions then ask you where you want to install, once you've selected one you'll be given the choice to format or not. Choose YES and then format as NTFS (if you get the choice), IMHO there's nothing to be gained these days using FAT32 (and XP won't format a FAT32 partition of 32GB anyway).

You should now be set, once formatting is complete the installation will proceed. Hopefully. ;)

I would suggest you think about only setting up a 6Gb system partition for installing software on, leaving the rest of the disk for data. This also gives you the chance to use Norton Ghost to take an 'image' of the system partition which you can restore if things go pear-shaped.

This allows you to mess with device drivers, trial software etc. and be able to completely obliterate it if things go wrong. While Windows System Restore tries to provide the same feature IMX it often doesn't undo all such damage. If your son is going to be surfing the internet it's also a good way to get rid of nasty parasites he'll likely get to see.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    If you boot from the XP install cd it will give you the option of formatting the HD first.
    Make sure you have backed up any valuable material to CD or even floppy first though obviously.

Also download all the latest drivers for your hardware including mobo prior to doing the install whilst you still have a net connection ...if you have more than one computer this isn't a big deal obviously.

I also yank all the non-essential cards and reintroduce them one at a time after the OS has been installed . Motherboard , HD , CD-rom and graphics card is all you need at first. ( I usually then do the mobo hardware , graphics and modem/nic followed by a virus killer and firewall then update XP ) Then everything else.

Also if you have an unusual HD controller you might need the driver for it on a floppy if XP doesn't have a generic one ( had an asus board with a promise controller for ata100 which never installed properly prior to OS installation ...solution was to use one of the ata66 ports ( this was a while ago now though so don't worry too much)

I recommend also installing some sort of drive imaging software like ghost or trueimage and imaging the initial raw install ( put it on a different HD though).