• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Clean Wondows 10 install on SSD

PerfectBlue97

Established Member
When I brought my PC it came with Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium and a regular magnetic HDD.

I'd like to replace this with an SSD and Windows 10.

I plan to reinstall everything from scratch, so no legacy hardware, software or files. Basically, as if it were a bran new computer.

Is there an idiots guide explaining how to do this?

I've installed new OS before, and can manage all of the hardware, but I've probably picked up bad habits over the years so I'm looking for a proven guide so that I can weed out any errors on my part.

Any ideas?

wongataa

Prominent Member
  1. Create a USB/DVD windows 10 install disc from the media creation tool on the Microsoft website.
  2. Install Windows 10 on your current setup using the previously made disc or by Windows update. Make sure Windows 10 is activated when it is installed. This will be your free upgrade to Windows 10.
  3. Remove your original hard drive and install the new SSD drive.
  4. Change any BIOS options if you need to.
  5. Boot the computer from the disc/USB stick created in step 1.
  6. Install Windows 10.
  7. When asked to enter your key use the skip option. As you have previously updated to Windows 10 MS should recognise your computer and reactivate it.
  8. Make sure Windows 10 is activated after install.
  9. Enjoy!

MarkE19

Step .2 is very important or you wont be able to activate the new install without buying a new Win10 license
How to Clean Install Windows 10
If you want to perform a clean install of Windows 10 and haven’t upgraded to Windows 10 yet on your Windows 7 or 8.1 PC, you have some extra work to do. You’ll need to take advantage of Microsoft’s upgrade offer before performing a clean install. (Obviously, if you have a PC that came with Windows 10 or you’ve purchased your own Windows 10 license, this isn’t necessary.)

When you upgrade a Windows 7 or 8.1 system to Windows 10, the installer confirms that you have a “genuine Windows” system installed and activates your computer for use with Windows 10. Note that you don’t actually get a Windows 10 product key — instead, your computer’s hardware is registered with Microsoft’s servers. When you install Windows 10 on that PC again in the future, it will check in with Microsoft’s servers, confirm it’s installed on a registered PC, and automatically activate itself.

If you don’t take advantage of the upgrade process first, this registration will never happen. There’s no way to enter a Windows 7 or 8.1 key into the Windows 10 installer, nor is there some sort of web form that will give you a Windows 10 key if you provide your Windows 7 or 8.1 key. Sorry — you’ll have to upgrade to Windows 10 before you can perform a clean install.
although there are options.......
Clean Install Windows 10 Directly without having to Upgrade First

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom