Clean HDMI Out

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by cocobwoy, Jun 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. cocobwoy

cocobwoy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am currently looking at upgrading from a smart phone to a camcorder for doing some live streaming of sporting events.

I have a Magewell XI100DUSB-HDMI Capture box but struggling to decide what camera to buy.

Requirements:
    - Don't need to record
    - HD
    - Clean HDMI out (no graphics on screen)
    - Budget £300 (new or used)
    - Audio not required

Can anyone suggest one please?

Thanks in advance

2. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Most of the HD cameras will output on HDMI while in Standby mode but you will probably need one that can be powered directly from the mains as the batteries will have a limited life when the camera is on.
    Some upmarket cameras will output directly via Wi-Fi so no intermediate box is needed.

3. cocobwoy

cocobwoy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, yes via mains power would be the avenue I would want to go down.

I am also using the intermediate box because I would like to overlay some graphics using OBS whilst I am streaming the footage (for example scores of a game)

I have been looking at various cameras but unsure of which would give the best quality for the money. Some I have looked at

Panasonic HC-V770
    Sony CX405
    Canon Legria HF-R806

4. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    ...I'll suspect you are attempting to achieve a professional result at a budget price.....
    It's none of my business... but won't you need more than one camera ( =Viewpoint) at any event?
    + I will presume you have permission to broadcast these sports ( Really? ).... so you need to be sure the HDMI output is active when the camcorder is "ON" - whilst this is usually the case, it's by no means certain. RTFM
    The HDMI cable-length may be an issue . . . 3m should be OK
    Also, those wifi outputs are "for framing", using a smartphone, or similar . . . check the quality it produces - it may be restricted, since the smartphone has a small screen ( why transmit HD wirelessly, when there is an HDMI output? . . . . battery-life / transmission power overhead.
    OBS - I don't know about the intermediate step you mention for separate score-graphics, but it reads like you already know this step.

Whilst larger batteries are usually available for camcorders . . . the budget-end may not . .. check the Manual ( download the User Guide pdf. - from the Mfr website ). Also there is a move to 4K, so these models' accessories may be time-limited . . .
    As Terfyn suggest a mains supply could fix this . . . but if the sports are outside then consider one of those Power-Banks as an alternative . . . as these are not Mfr-branded . . . they may not suit the camcorder. Also any mains-connection has insulation implications as well as noise ( although you say there is no audio . . . Why not - that's half the event, isn't it? )

Hope that helps.

5. cocobwoy

cocobwoy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi thanks again for the reply.

The sport in question does not require me to move from one location and no need for multiple cameras as vantage points above are quite common.

The plan is to have camera, capture device and laptop all in one location and 9/10 it is under cover with a mains supply and yes I do have permission :)

Sound will be via headset plugged directly into the laptop to enable commentary if required.

The main issue I am finding is camera suggestions. I have seen a 4K Panasonic for £400 which seems to fit the bill but do I need 4K for potentially streaming to facebook\Youtube??

6. cocobwoy

cocobwoy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Suppose my real dilemma is do I go for a camera priced £200 and maybe upgrade later or do I spend extra to future proof 4K

7. Terfyn

Terfyn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Despite the hype HD is still the most used form of playback at present but 4k can be converted to HD. My choice would be the 770 as I already use the 750 and the presentation is more than adequate. You will also have to consider if you laptop will handle the amount of information that 4k provides.

8. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    Without knowing yr chosen Sport.....
    I have watched briefly Squash court matches and these would be as you describe ( Although the audio of the shouts // ball bouncing. etc would be "Necessary" IMHO, if only the viewer would stop making a noise!. I accept that you are adding the commentary and this is something you are comfortable with.... You should be able to adjust "Levels" - or know they are "right" as YT postings appear to follow no Standards . . . ideally the average level is -12dB ( provides nearly 12dB of headroom ), but many folks raise this to make themselves "loud" ( so their headroom is insufficient for those cries, etc. and in everyday Video.Films . . . wherever Music is involved. If you have a camcorder with Audio-meters then you can make the level consistent . . . ideally you'll have "volume control" to set it.

For interest a second-camera ( Several yards away), allows you to create "interest" when for some reason the players get in an awkward position.... or to keep the feed going when they stop. To do this "live" may mean a video-mixer and these are generally not available for "our HD" -

Look at yr chosen Sport on YT - what Quality do they show now? . . . As Terfyn says, HD is the norm. - and if you buy a cheap HD camcorder you'll still have a poor back-up ( of sorts) later, if the need demands.
    4K is a whole extra cost.
    However £200 sounds a bit cheap - look for a camcorder with a larger sensor ( for lower noise indoor lighting ) and better optics, etc. etc. as well as better Audio-features which may come in useful. IMHO even £500-camcorder Audio-meters are barely useable, as they are quite small on the screen . . . only confirming the jack plug is in.

Good Luck.