1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean Electricity - Isoplug???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pobrien31, Sep 25, 2003.

1. pobrien31

pobrien31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning All :D ,

My Pioneer was emitting a hum from the transformer. Originally I though it was a fault with the unit and swapped it.

I have since been told (as the new unit is doing it also) that it is to do with the electricity supply coming into the house.

It's definatley not an earth loop, it's more mechanical, i.e. transformer hum from the unit.

Apparantley, the transformer is made up of separate layers of metal laminated together. and it is these that vibrate.

A friend has recommended the Isoplug!!!

I just wondered if anyone else has bought one of these and could share theri thoughts.

Thanx in advance.

pobrien31 :smashin:

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a former member reported good things on the Isotek plug, pretty much the same as a Russ Andrews Silencer but cheaper.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I assume that what an Isoplug does is to filter out high frequency interference in the mains signal...? If so, then it won't do anything at all to stop 50Hz hum.

4. pobrien31

pobrien31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audio and video systems need a reference point for their voltages. Generally referred to as common or ground, although it may not be actually connected with the earth, this reference remains at "zero volts" while other signal voltages "swing" positive (above) and negative (below) it.

Physically, the common may be a wire, a trace on a printed-circuit board, a metal chassis, virtually anything that conducts electricity. Ideally it should be a perfect conductor, but in any practical system it is not. As the complexity and size of the system is increased, the imperfect conductivity of the common (ground) conductor inevitably causes problems.

Hum and buzz (50Hz/60Hz and it's harmonics) occur in unbalanced systems when currents flow in the cable shield connections between different pieces of equipment.

The cable shield currents and ground voltage differences are caused by several mechanisms. The most common source of hum and buzz is the voltage difference between two safety grounds separated by a large distance or the voltage difference between a safety ground and an "Earth" ground (such as a grounded satellite dish or cable TV source).

This problem is usually called "ground loop". This is the most common one in severe humming problems.

Hum and buzz can also be magnetically induced or capacitively induced directly into signal cables. The noise current can leak from mains input through capacitance between the A.C. power transformer primary and secondary windings which causes that a portion of the A.C. line voltage will ALWAYS be capacitively coupled directly to audio circuit ground.

This capacitivly coupled power line signal will usually contain significant harmonics out to 1MHz or more. These signals will cause currents to flow in the cable shields thus adding this noise directly to the audio signal.

It's amazing what a little research and asking around can dog up!

As my issue is mechanical, then the isoplug should 'clean' up the electricity flow.

L8R peeps,

pobrien31

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    As Nicolas says, the Isoplug will do nothing for the mechanical hum that you are getting. If it's not mechanical hum then it might.