• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Claymore Positioning

majnu

Distinguished Member
Hi

Is there a special way to position claymores? I find sometimes that they are useless because

a) enemies can just run through them, set them off and still survive

b) They are not like WAW betties which were almost invisible, the MW2 claymores are visible and can be shot at to deactivate them.

So how do i position them to they are invisible and how do I position them so they kill people? :rolleyes:

cheers

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Hi

Is there a special way to position claymores? I find sometimes that they are useless because

a) enemies can just run through them, set them off and still survive

There a perk which delays claymores (Cold Blooded Pro?) and more commonly sometimes you can get lucky and sprint through them and survive with just a bit of jam on your face.

b) They are not like WAW betties which were almost invisible, the MW2 claymores are visible and can be shot at to deactivate them.

Seems fair to me they would be (even more) annoying if you couldnt.

So how do i position them to they are invisible and how do I position them so they kill people? :rolleyes:

cheers.

Im no expert with claymores but in spots where you cant see them before its too late seem to be the worst, top of stairs, just over ridges, hidden in grass or near corners.

Alternatively you could just play the game and shoot people! ;)

Last edited:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Next to red barrels or cars can give a nice little "after shock".

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
It's scrambler pro

Aim them at unmissable places but in a way that they get the full blast

ODP

Distinguished Member
i find the most effective way of using claymores, is go to a room with 2 doors (this wont work with any more than 2. bang claymores at both entrances and wait ADS to one of the doors.. wait until you hear a click and BOOM!!!!!!! rinse and repeat until you get to 11, choppy G then a Nuke.. ;)

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
i find the most effective way of using claymores, is go to a room with 2 doors (this wont work with any more than 2. bang claymores at both entrances and wait ADS to one of the doors.. wait until you hear a click and BOOM!!!!!!! rinse and repeat until you get to 11, choppy G then a Nuke.. ;)
I prefer to use the claymores to hold off the entrances to your position while you shoot from a window or rooftop etc

Neil_H

Prominent Member
I'm a heavy user of claymores, sometimes I'll get 10+ kils from them in a game.

What you need to do is position them so that there's time for them to catch the target after being tripped, it takes about a second after being tripped to explode so you have to take this into account. I see a lot of people putting them in doorways, facing outwards, which is never a good way as they're easily seen and you can just run through them after they've been tripped. Better to put it beside the doorway, facing slightly into the room that the door leads to, so the blast will still cover the person tripping it and it's harder for them to see it as it will be slightly behind their field of view.

Top of stairs is good, for example the stairs leading up to the computer room on Sub Base - put it at the top, facing slightly to the right will almost guarantee a kill every time.

michaelro

Prominent Member
I have them on most of my classes as I'm rubbish with grenades.

Even if they run through them, at least you have a warning an enemy is close by / on your tail.

I sometimes find having 2 claymores (Scavenger / OMA) distracting as you can't always tell which one has been tripped (Unless you place 1 after the other for a bigger blast radius + 2 x C4 if you're maxing out OMA ;))

Boozehound

Banned
I HATE claymores!

Saying that, most of the time they're fairly easy to run right through with little or no damage done but when you come across someone who knows how to use them properly it's a total pain in the botox.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
I have them on most of my classes as I'm rubbish with grenades.

Even if they run through them, at least you have a warning an enemy is close by / on your tail.

I sometimes find having 2 claymores (Scavenger / OMA) distracting as you can't always tell which one has been tripped (Unless you place 1 after the other for a bigger blast radius + 2 x C4 if you're maxing out OMA ;))
They are good as early warning sensors. Surround sound helps with the which direction issue I find

campy mccamper

Prominent Member
If you are in one of those emp care package lobbies try laying more than 2 claymores. It's a campers wet dream. I managed about 15 before someone tripped them and blew me, him and 2 cars up.

DSC00014.jpg

Hob_Nob_Man

Established Member
I agree with what most people are saying, put them in places in which the enemy wont see it till its too late. For example if your sticking at the top of a set of stairs then put it just out of sight.

Such as the escalator on terminal, put it to the side so they dont see it as they are going up the excalator or the server room stairs on sub base, stick it at the top but a bit further back and slightly pointed towards the door so theres no escape.

Depends on your game mode too, cos on Hardcore people die alot more easily to them, so you cant put them further back out of sight and still be just as effective as up close on core games.

On COD4 i use to put them in spots where the enemy deffinitely wouldnt see them or expect them but they were to far away to kill in one so i'd bunch two claymores together. Not tried it on this yet tho cos you only get one and i dont always use scavenger.

I've been using Sitrep pro alot recently and im starting to love it, cos it basically shows me where people are camping on the map and the pro version is like have a headset, but combined with a headset its even better. Highly recommend sitrep, if you never want to be killed by a claymore again :D

r.vernon1

Established Member
I'm a heavy user of claymores, sometimes I'll get 10+ kils from them in a game.

What you need to do is position them so that there's time for them to catch the target after being tripped, it takes about a second after being tripped to explode so you have to take this into account. I see a lot of people putting them in doorways, facing outwards, which is never a good way as they're easily seen and you can just run through them after they've been tripped. Better to put it beside the doorway, facing slightly into the room that the door leads to, so the blast will still cover the person tripping it and it's harder for them to see it as it will be slightly behind their field of view.

Top of stairs is good, for example the stairs leading up to the computer room on Sub Base - put it at the top, facing slightly to the right will almost guarantee a kill every time.

This is spot on 100%. I really annoys me when people put claymores where they are never going to get a kill.

If I get time I will document all my favourite claymores spots but I feel they are a bit like a secret reciepe but I don't mind sharing the love.

THe only other thing on my mind is whether I should leave it until AFTER the upcoming tourny, don't want to give any opposition a heads up on where not to go. :)

Lalonde

Established Member
I can't do much well in this game but the use of Claymores is one of them. You even see the experts on YouTube placing them in a crap manner, that you know won't get them a kill.

The amount of times I come across claymores placed directly flush against a wall pointing across the doorway. Meaning the enemy is out of the blast radius moments after he's triggered it.

I also have a few choice spots on various maps, usually at the top of stairs angled at the backs as they get to the top; Storm, Rundown and Overgrown have great places to do this - guaranteed kills (barring any cheapo counter perks :) ).

r.vernon1

Established Member
What I am thinking it having a section for each map and people can post screenshots/pics (a bit like what blockmonkey has done) for each map of their fave claymore spots. Should give folk an ideas then and maybe help them in future.

People can just keep adding to it then as well.

erniebert1

Established Member
I always put my claymores diagonally in the corner of the room. Very hard to see them and even if they run through the doors fast it gets them from behind. Please excuse the poor drawing :rotfl:

claymores.jpg
[/IMG]

rchads89

Banned
some of them claymores there are too far away.... also for those that use lightweight plant the claymore the wrong way round and it will kill them if you dont they will run through everytime ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom