• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Classified sales ettiquette

Steve.EX

Established Member
Does anyone else notice this well trodden path of how some ads turn out?
For example:

Seller:
For sale. 43" XYZ plasma. Mint condition, all fixtures/fittins/packaging included. No dead pixels. 300 hours. 2 months old, balance of 24 month warranty remaining. Original reciept supplied. UK sourced.
Paid £3000, sell for £1500+P/P.

Buyer:
I would like to offer £750 and can collect.

Seller:
No thanks, thats a little lower than i had hoped for. I will let this ad run for a while.

Buyer (and here we go)
Well given the fact that you have actually used your TV and you have broken the sellotape seals on the box to get it out plus the fact that i can get a German grey import from Never-In-Stock ltd for 37p including a 50 year warranty, wall bracket, £500 of cables a dinner for 2 at the Savoy i think you must be a absolute romancer asking for that sort of money. Haven't you heard XYZ have announced their new range and my ealer says they will be on the shelves as soon as 2008!!! Mate i really think you need to think about how much you are asking for it. Just last week one sold on eBay for £339 including delivery from Nigeria, still it's your TV i suppose

Seller:
No thanks.

Next buyer:
I would like to offer £755 inclusive, on provision you include £200 of cabling, and i can only pay by PAYPAL. Oops forgot to say i can't pay up until the end of the month when i get paid my bonus i was promised.

Etc Etc.

It is not the amount that are being offered per se'. It is an open/free market. But it is the justification and quite often quiet malice that comes with turning these offers down. It also often seems to set the tone for the remainder of the thread. Poor form imo.
These threads should contain the item for sale, conditions of sale. The seller seller should offer and amount and any queries to the conditions. The seller should only really have to say yes or no?
Although i have not suffered this personally i have often felt sorry for a vendor when this sort of thing starts.
Posts containing personal justification of silly offers should be removed by my reckoning.
Oh and a good morning to all :)

mij

Prominent Member
I agree.

Though some sellers have no idea of how far the value of their item has dropped since they purchased it.

Gadget Daddy

Prominent Member
some people lack manners plain and simple, you should not put anything in writing that you wouldnt say to the person if you where sat opposite them at a table, too many people lack the above and hide behind the keyboard.

Words can all to easily be mis-interpreted as they convey no emotion and you dont know the person, so a polite refusal is the best way forward.

Pete

Ultima

Distinguished Member
Any reference to Ebay or other Auction sites are removed. Also only valid links to sites that are selling the same like for like item are allowed.

Martin

A

av2diefor

PeteB_2000 said:
some people lack manners plain and simple, you should not put anything in writing that you wouldnt say to the person if you where sat opposite them at a table, too many people lack the above and hide behind the keyboard.

Words can all to easily be mis-interpreted as they convey no emotion and you dont know the person, so a polite refusal is the best way forward.

Pete

So true.

i wouldn't dream of saying typing anything i wouln't say to someones face,one of the drawbacks of the internet i suppose.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom